I would like a tiled view of the same image

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

gotcha

Re: I would like a tiled view of the same image

Post by gotcha »

In game development textures have to be seamless. Being able to see the same texture repeated in all directions is a great way of avoiding seams and repetition.

Would it be possible to add that feature? Zooming in and out would then show more or less of the same image to all sides. So to be clear I don't mean tiled windows which already exist (like the cascade option), but tile image display
A bit like the tiled wallpaper of the desktop background.

Thanks a lot for this GREAT program! It beats ACDsee hands down!
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

gotcha wrote:In game development textures have to be seamless. Being able to see the same texture repeated in all directions is a great way of avoiding seams and repetition.

Would it be possible to add that feature? Zooming in and out would then show more or less of the same image to all sides. So to be clear I don't mean tiled windows which already exist (like the cascade option), but tile image display
A bit like the tiled wallpaper of the desktop background.

Thanks a lot for this GREAT program! It beats ACDsee hands down!
Ok, added in my TODO list
Pierre.

Post by Guest »

ExcellentT Thanks
Nizo

Post by Nizo »

Is this function implemented??

Cant find it:(
grafical

Post by grafical »

budz45 ([url=http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?p=95355#p95355]Tiled preview of selected image[/url]) wrote:Yes in XnView MP 0.38, a user can now right-click on the preview pane in Browser view and select "Draw as tiled"
"Draw as Tiled" is, in my opinion, a step in the right direction, but it's missing a crucial function. Right now, "Draw as Tiled" allows you to view a horizontal tiling of the image, as long as the image is fairly small. It's difficult to see the vertical tiling unless you change the layout, and still it really only works with small images. If you're working with 1024px, 2048px, 4096px or even higher images, the "Draw As Tiled" function doesn't really work at all.

Why? Because in "Draw as Tiled" mode, you can't zoom in and out. Ideally, we should be able to hover over the "Draw as Tiled" preview and use the mouse wheel to quickly zoom in and out, which would allow us to see at a glance if the image is seamless horizontally and vertically, and to see how obvious the "patterning" is when zoomed out. It would allow us to do all of this with any size image and without any adjusting of the program layout.

With high resolution images, if you can't zoom in and out, then you never see the edges to begin with, so you have no way of knowing if it's seamless or not.

Can zooming via +/- AND mouse-wheel please be added to the "Draw as Tiled" feature?

g
grafical

Post by grafical »

Is there any chance we'll get a "View as Tiled" that can be zoomed with the scroll-wheel? As-is, "View as tiled" only works for small images.