0.90 changes date/time stamp of LibreOffice documents

Reported bugs that have been closed and/or resolved

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

gbirramedia

0.90 changes date/time stamp of LibreOffice documents

Post by gbirramedia »

XnView: MP 0.90 - 64 bit

XnView browser modifies the timestamp of LibreOffice documents.

Effect: When browsing a directory containing LibreOffice documents (i.e. *.ods, *.odt, *.odg, etc), the operating system timestamp of all the files of these types are updated to current date/time (in the same way as if you had used the "touch" command on these files, e.g. "touch *.ods").

To reproduce:
1. Put some LibreOffice files (e.g. *.odt, *.ods, *.odg, etc.) into a folder.
2. Make sure the date/time stamp of those files is not current (or use the Linux command "touch -d" to set an arbitrary date different from the current one, for example yesterday)
3. Open XnView MP 0.90 in browser mode and navigate into that folder.
3. Wait until all the thumbnails are generated and visible on the XnView browser window.
4. Exit XnView

Actual behaviour (bug): The date/time stamp of all Libreoffice files in the directory are modified to current date/time

Expected behaviour: The date/time stamp of files MUST NOT be changed (regardless of file type).

Fixing this bug is critical because just by navigating a directory the date of the last modification of all LibreOffice documents in the folder is lost.

NOTE:

If after reproducing the bug using the procedure described above you restore/change the timestamp of the affected files (e.g. using the "touch" command) and then you try to reproduce the bug again using the same procedure, this time XnView will not change the timestamps ....as long as it doesn't need to rebuild the thumbnails.

On the other hand, if I delete the XnView cached directories from the "Settings > Browser > Catalog" option and then navigate into the same folder, XnView will change the timestamp of all LibreOffice documents again.

It seems to me that the problem is related to the thumbnail generation.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: 0.90 changes date/time stamp of LibreOffice documents

Post by xnview »

please check this topic
Pierre.
gbirramedia

Post by gbirramedia »

Hi Pierre,

Thanks for the info. It seems that it's the same bug and that it affects equally documents with OpenDocument format and Microsoft's Office Open XML formats.

I hope it can be fixed in the next version.

Keep up the good work and thank you for this fine piece of software! (XnView is the only non-open-source application allowed to run on my Linux machines, which shows that it's really good to have earned the right to that exception :-)
gbirramedia

Post by gbirramedia »

Hi Pierre,

Unfortunately the bug is still there in version 0.92.

I've reproduced it again under the same conditions and using the same procedure I described in my first post in this thread.

I do not have Microsoft OpenXML files to test and compare, but I can confirm that in the case of OpenDocument files (.odt, .ods, etc.) the bug is still there, i.e., date/time stamp of files is changed every time the thumbnails are rebuilt.

I consider this a serious bug and I had stopped using XnView since I found the problem as I cannot safely browse any directory/folder because of the risk of damaging the timestamp of all ODF files in that folder.

Hope this bug can be definitely fixed soon.

Thank you and keep up the good work!
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

gbirramedia wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:13 am I've reproduced it again under the same conditions and using the same procedure I described in my first post in this thread.

I do not have Microsoft OpenXML files to test and compare, but I can confirm that in the case of OpenDocument files (.odt, .ods, etc.) the bug is still there, i.e., date/time stamp of files is changed every time the thumbnails are rebuilt.

I consider this a serious bug and I had stopped using XnView since I found the problem as I cannot safely browse any directory/folder because of the risk of damaging the timestamp of all ODF files in that folder.
I can't reproduce with .odt, modified date is changed?
Pierre.
gbirramedia

Post by gbirramedia »

xnview wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:13 pm
gbirramedia wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:13 am I've reproduced it again under the same conditions and using the same procedure I described in my first post in this thread.

I can't reproduce with .odt, modified date is changed?
Yes. After installing v0.92 over v0.90, I used XnView MP in browser mode to open a directory and then, once XnView finished rebuilding the thumbnails, all the *.odt files in that directory ended up with their "modified" timestamp updated to the current date and time.

Just in case this gives you a clue, the configuration of the browser mode in my XnView installation keeps the default values, except for the "Catalog" feature, which I have it disabled.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

gbirramedia wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:54 am Yes. After installing v0.92 over v0.90, I used XnView MP in browser mode to open a directory and then, once XnView finished rebuilding the thumbnails, all the *.odt files in that directory ended up with their "modified" timestamp updated to the current date and time.
could you send me an odt sample file? Screenshots?
Pierre.
gbirramedia

Post by gbirramedia »

xnview wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:34 am
gbirramedia wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:54 am Yes. After installing v0.92 over v0.90, I used XnView MP in browser mode to open a directory and then, once XnView finished rebuilding the thumbnails, all the *.odt files in that directory ended up with their "modified" timestamp updated to the current date and time.
could you send me an odt sample file? Screenshots?
Hi Pierre,

Please take a look to the following screenshots:

Screenshot_2018-09-24_21-02-03.png:
This screenshot shows a view (using a common Linux file browser) of a test directory where I've placed a few image files together with different test files in both OpenXML and OpenDocument formats. Note that the files are sorted by date in reverse order.

Screenshot_2018-09-24_21-04-37.png:
After taking the previous screenshot, I opened XnView (v0.92) en browser mode and I navigated to the same test directory.

Screenshot_2018-09-24_21-05-06.png:
Once XnView finished generating the thumbnails (very fast in this case since the directory contains very few files), the modification date of the ODT files was changed to the current date and time (note how the three ODT documents they are now at the top of the sorted list in the file browser while the timestamp of the other office files remained unchanged.

Regards
Attachments
Screenshot_2018-09-24_21-02-03.png
Screenshot_2018-09-24_21-04-37.png
Screenshot_2018-09-24_21-05-06.png
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

ok, i confirm that the bug was not fixed on linux. could you try this one
Pierre.
gbirramedia

Post by gbirramedia »

xnview wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:25 pm ok, i confirm that the bug was not fixed on linux. could you try this one
Hi Pierre,

Thank you for the updated files. I've just tested it and the problem is now fixed (i.e. the ODT files are not "modified" anymore).

Thanks again for this great software!
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

This problem is supposed to be fixed in XnView MP 0.93. Please check and confirm the bug fix here.
Pierre.
gbirramedia

Post by gbirramedia »

Hello Pierre,

This is just to let you know that I come from testing version 0.93 on Linux (Debian 4.19.16-1 amd64/x86_64) and I can confirm that there are no regressions and the bug is now fixed.

Thank you and keep up the good work!
xnview wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:52 pm This problem is supposed to be fixed in XnView MP 0.93. Please check and confirm the bug fix here.