Companion File Handing in MP?

Older bugs which are supposed to be fixed in 0.84. *** Please try to reproduce your bug and confirm the bug fix. ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Companion File Handing in MP?

Post by xnview »

andrewj wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:26 pm Hi Pierre,
Definitely no context menu for me. I have tried both left and right clicking in both columns...
I show companion files - I run with all three boxes checked.
Andrew
beta 3?
Pierre.
andrewj

Post by andrewj »

That may be the problem. I followed the link in your post to the beta page viewtopic.php?f=108&t=37553, but that seems to be for Beta 1. How do I find the latest beta?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Pierre.
andrewj

Post by andrewj »

Hi Pierre,
Thanks. I have installed beta 4. That solves the context menu issue, but I still can't drag/drop to copy/move, but if I do a cut and paste it works OK.
Is there anything else I can check?
Andrew
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

you drag&drop a cr2 file?
Pierre.
andrewj

Post by andrewj »

No. I tried renaming a .ARW to .CR2, but it didn't work. I also tried making sure that all files have lowercase extensions, but that doesn't make any difference.
m.Th.
XnThusiast

Post by m.Th. »

I confirm that drag & drop doesn't support sidecars/companions. See here for my report which depicts TWO bugs: (drag & drop and desyncing for the names)

viewtopic.php?f=110&t=29532&start=15#p151059

...also it has some problems with refresh:
viewtopic.php?f=110&t=29532&start=15#p151056
m. Th.

- Dark Themed XnViewMP 1.6 64bit on Win11 x64 -
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

andrewj wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:04 pm No. I tried renaming a .ARW to .CR2, but it didn't work. I also tried making sure that all files have lowercase extensions, but that doesn't make any difference.
do you use 'show companions'? Do you drag&drop files from thumbnail view to a subfolder in thumbnails view?
Pierre.
andrewj

Post by andrewj »

Hi Pierre,
I do use "show companions". If I turn it off, the .xmp files are hidden, but not the .JPG files. I don't know if it's significant, but I've noticed that the .RW2 and .JPG are uppercase, but .xmp is lowercase. It shouldn't make a difference under Windows, but I don't know about your code.

I usually drag and drop the raw file from a thumbnail view to another folder in the explorer. That works OK in XnView.
Thanks
Andrew
robo

Post by robo »

Hi,

If I understand Andrew's issue, I think I have the same behaviour on my side using beta4:
With .cr2 set as master and .jpg as companion, it still shows both in the browser.
However, if the .jpg is the master with .cr2 as companion, I only see the .jpg.

I can see the logic where you want to show the lightest file instead of the raw but I'm not sure if it's intended to work only in one direction or if it's simply a bug.

Anyways, I could live with that if I could set the "open with" programs to open one of the companion files with a specific extension instead of the master:
I would browse the jpg catalog in XnViewMP for a picture I want to edit in my raw processing software and by clicking edit with said software, it would open the associated raw file instead of the jpg.

The other thing that would be nice to have: to see the extensions of the associated companion files next to the name of the file (or anywhere near the thumbnail) in the browser to quickly see what is available. Maybe even adding this as a new variable to allow us to add this when customizing the info in the tooltips,etc.

Thanks
Arthur