Drag & drop from image view?

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView Classic

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

ewerybody

Drag & drop from image view?

Post by ewerybody »

deja vu? did I post this once before?

What I really miss in XnView is the ability to drag an image from the image view (or "Bildansicht" in german) to another application e.g. Photoshop or even another Explorer Window. Yes that works from the browser but sometimes you have to look where youre image is in the browser or it takes a moment to load... whatever. I know this from ACDSee to work very good (But ACDSee became so clumsy and naughty i hate it...) and really miss it in xnview a lot!
helmut

Re: Drag & drop from image view?

Post by helmut »

ewerybody wrote:deja vu? did I post this once before?
Think that's a new request.
ewerybody wrote:What I really miss in XnView is the ability to drag an image from the image view (or "Bildansicht" in german) to another application e.g. Photoshop or even another Explorer Window. ...
Currently, XnView does not support this. Both mouse buttons are occupied (select area / move image), so this would only be possible if an option to change a mouse buttons behaviour was introduced.

Personally I don't place links very often. For opening another application with the current image, I use the context menu "Open with...".

Would other people also find dragging the image in image view useful?
Clo
XnThusiast

Useful---

Post by Clo »

:) Hello !
- Yes, I think that such a feature could be useful. Pas "déjà vue" AFAIR.
- For instance, I watch often some BMPs in XnView, and wish to make a minor change in Paint. Currently, I must open Paint and follow an endless path from the awful default "My documents"… and this n…times for n… pictures when they are scattered in several folders.
• Carrying the file with the mouse should be easier, faster and handier.
• Instead to add another setting for the mouse-buttons, I guess that a modifier-letter, i.e. LMB+D or so could do the trick; the actual mouse settings are already pretty complicated enough, IMHO…
:mrgreen: Regards,
Claude
Clo
Old user ON SELECTIVE STRIKE till further notice
helmut

Re: Useful---

Post by helmut »

Clo wrote:...
- For instance, I watch often some BMPs in XnView, and wishes to make a minor change in Paint. Currently, I must open Paint and follow an endless path from the awful default "My documents"… and this n…times for n… pictures when they are scattered in several folders. ...
I think you are aware that you can add MS Paint once to the "Open with..." menu and then open the image directly by selecting "Open with>MS Paint". The "Open with.." is available in menu "Tools" or context menu in both browser mode and image view mode.

For details see also topic "How can XnView interact with other (graphic) programs?".
Clo
XnThusiast

Doesn't the trick---

Post by Clo »

¤ "Open with" is much less handy in that case, 'cause :

1. Needs to rummage in the menus,

2. Risks to open n… instances of Paint - one per image- causing a mess, while I want for use and keep the same…

:mrgreen: G
Claude
Clo
Old user ON SELECTIVE STRIKE till further notice
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Drag & drop from image view?

Post by xnview »

ewerybody wrote:deja vu? did I post this once before?

What I really miss in XnView is the ability to drag an image from the image view (or "Bildansicht" in german) to another application e.g. Photoshop or even another Explorer Window. Yes that works from the browser but sometimes you have to look where youre image is in the browser or it takes a moment to load... whatever. I know this from ACDSee to work very good (But ACDSee became so clumsy and naughty i hate it...) and really miss it in xnview a lot!
But this can cause problem... ACD*** can do that?
Pierre.
ouistiti

Post by ouistiti »

2 Pierre

Indeed, it does !

- I found out an antiquated version 4 in an old HD, that works perfectly from ACDS** to Paint (5.1)!.... and also to Jasc Paint Shop Pro (7)

Friendly,
Paul
L'important n'est pas de convaincre, mais de donner à réfléchir.
The important thing is not to convince, but to incite to think.

eweryboooody

Post by eweryboooody »

OK some further explanation how it could work like in A%#§&e:
In Image view you got that hand-cursor for moving the image. But at zoom 100% this is useless. In this state you should be able to drag and drop the image to another application, to copy or to edit eg in photoshop like its possible in the browser.

So: my suggestion whould be to only activate this at zoom 100%.

I never use that context menu. Dragging / dropping is very user friendly and intuitively.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

eweryboooody wrote:OK some further explanation how it could work like in A%#§&e:
In Image view you got that hand-cursor for moving the image. But at zoom 100% this is useless. In this state you should be able to drag and drop the image to another application, to copy or to edit eg in photoshop like its possible in the browser.

I never use that context menu. Dragging / dropping is very user friendly and intuitively.
Ok, but if the image is modified, your drag original or modified picture?
Pierre.
helmut

Post by helmut »

eweryboooody wrote:...
I think drag & drop could work whenever there are no scrollbars displayed, i. e. the image is fully displayed, regardless what the Zoom is. (A 100% zoomed images does not necessarily fit onto screen).
eweryboooody

Post by eweryboooody »

Thast so true! You are right.

Its only suprising xnview basically supports this but not at the image view mode.. :/

But I've seen this somewhere else recently ... I think in Firefox when an image is zoomed you get a Zoom-Cursor as well. Now If you drag and move the cursor just out of the window it automatically becomes a "copy file"-cursor.

Thats what I want for the view. Regardless of how the image is zoomed.
eweryboooody

Post by eweryboooody »

Is this abandoned?

how about moving the file if dragging out of xnview window? (see firefox behaviour)
consistency

Post by consistency »

would be really great if this feature could be implemented. possible for 1.9?

to drop downs for the left and the right mouse button are allready there, just add a option "drag to other app" please.

everyone who dont like the option could choose another one, everyone who like it choose this option. -> everybody is happy :)

greets
Dreamer
XnThusiast

Post by Dreamer »

Too late, new version will be probably released in few days, or even few hours.
Dreamer
foxyshadis

Post by foxyshadis »

eweryboooody wrote:Is this abandoned?

how about moving the file if dragging out of xnview window? (see firefox behaviour)
Huh? It does that for me right now. I've been using drag-n-drop from xnview into other applications for at least a month or two now, it's awesome. (Although Xnview still forces itself topmost, unlike explorer, which isn't a huge deal if you have dual monitors.)

Edit: Okay, the post I quoted is old, I see, but the point is there.