recognizing faces and people

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView MP

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

jms

recognizing faces and people

Post by jms »

I'm just playing with openCV and I made python programs that can recognize when there is a face in a picture, and if the face is trained in the database, they know the name of the person. With openCV this is quiet easy.

I loved google-picasa because it had virtual folders for your friends and relatives. For example in the folder "daddy" you found all pictures with your daddy. This feature was great.

Maybe it is possible to integrate this into XNView?
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: recognizing faces and people

Post by xnview »

i'll check
Pierre.
schultzter

Post by schultzter »

jms wrote:Maybe it is possible to integrate this into XNView?
Facial recognition would be awesome!!! It's something I would happily pay for!

I loved XnViewMP when I used it on my Linux desktop (but that computer has died and gone). More than digikam and Shotwell.

I haven't had much time for organising my photos lately, but before I do I need to find something with facial recognition (or at least detection then I can add the names). On Windows or Linux.

I've tried Mylio and MAGIX. Mylio looks great and has an amazing sync system, truly innovative. MAGIX is meh but at least has facial recog.

Unfortunately Mylio is subscription based beyond the free limit and that just doesn't work for me. I plan to keep my photos forever so that means paying the subscription FOREVER!!!

I would only be willing to buy the software outright, one-time payment (paying again for major updates is fine). And I would gladly support XnView. Facial recognition is critical though. So is hierarchical tags, an efficient UI (keyboard short cuts for everything and not too many levels), and support for removable drives (i.e.: store the photos and database on the drive and don't freak out when the drive isn't there - a solution like Mylio's would be awesome but I guess that's their thing).

<pipe dream>XnView for Chrome OS where all the photos and data are on USB or a local NAS or media server</pipe dream>
Version 0.72 x64 (Dec 19 2014) on Arch Linux

Headed for the second star to the right and straight on 'til morning...
jms

Post by jms »

To detect the faces in a photo is very easy with openCV. Then people can add the name manually.
The next step is to train openCV with the manual names and to automatically recognize people.

For finding the faces, you convert the picture to grayscale and use openCV array faces = face_cascade.detectMultiScale(....).

For training, you use cv2.face.LBPHFaceRecognizer_create().
Then you cut out the faces from above and train the thing with facerecognizer.train(faces, names).

After the training you make facerecognizer.predict(face) to find out the name of the person.
michaauskiel

Post by michaauskiel »

A facial recognition would be great. The identified faces could then be proposed as filenames. In addition, the names could be entered automatically into the IPTC. - i would pay 100 € for this feature!!!
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

which features will be needed?
Pierre.
jms

Post by jms »

For the first version, you could find and mark faces and allow the user to type the name. This is the same what facebook does.
michaauskiel

Post by michaauskiel »

Hi,

i have got a folder with all the persons i know (Peter, Mike, Jane...), the names of the persons are in the iptc and the filenames (Peter 1.jpg, Peter 2.jpg, Peter 3.jpg, Mike 1.jpg, Mike 2.jpg, ...)

So it would be great, if, when i open a folder with xnview, xnview would look, if there are any persons i already know. If there are it would be great if xnview would rename the files (Peter 4.jpg, Peter 5.jpg; Mike 3.jpg, Mike 4...). If the Information would be written into the iptc as well (this is Peter). That would be very great.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

michaauskiel wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 3:41 pm Hi,

i have got a folder with all the persons i know (Peter, Mike, Jane...), the names of the persons are in the iptc and the filenames (Peter 1.jpg, Peter 2.jpg, Peter 3.jpg, Mike 1.jpg, Mike 2.jpg, ...)

So it would be great, if, when i open a folder with xnview, xnview would look, if there are any persons i already know. If there are it would be great if xnview would rename the files (Peter 4.jpg, Peter 5.jpg; Mike 3.jpg, Mike 4...). If the Information would be written into the iptc as well (this is Peter). That would be very great.
It's specific use, you would like to rename filename with name of person, right?
Pierre.
michaauskiel

Post by michaauskiel »

Hi,

"you would like to rename filename with name of person, right?" - yes, absolute right!!!
michel038
XnThusiast

Post by michel038 »

I'm using iptc and xmp keywords for persons ...
michaauskiel

Post by michaauskiel »

Yes, and it would be great, if the name of the recognised person, will be transferred automatically into iptc and xmp keywords, too.
michaauskiel

Post by michaauskiel »

Hi,

There's no chance facial recognition is gonna be a feature?

micha
jms

Post by jms »

If hundred people write "yes please" then maybe. But I see only 3 people here.
michel038
XnThusiast

Post by michel038 »

I started the faces recognition job with Picasa. Then I used AvPicFaceXmpTagger that wrote Picasa informations into keywords.
And "update database with files" in XnViewMP. It's a bit tricky with Lightroom hierarchical keywords
I have written a detailed documentation of these operations, in french here . You can translate with google, or Deepl (better translation)
If XnviewMP could import Picasa faces informations (instead of using AvPicFace) it would be easier to proceed ...