Two QoL improvements for cataloguing images

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView MP

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Pylgrim

Two QoL improvements for cataloguing images

Post by Pylgrim »

As a background to my suggestion, I'll explain that I chiefly use XnView to catalogue images from multiple sources that are dumped in a shared folder into their proper folders. I make a big preview. medium-sized thumbnails and move file by file into their corresponding folder after seeing their content. I'd like to suggest two optional behaviours (toggled in settings) that would make my life (and the life of anybody doing similar work) much easier:

1. Allow toggling a "don't expand a folder's subfolders upon copying or moving a file into it" option (use instead the windows explorer default of expanding the subfolders by hovering on the folder for a few seconds) as many times I'm not interested in working on sub-cataloguing yet and the constantly expanding folders quickly force to scroll up and down to find main folders.

2. After a file is dragged from a folder to another, automatically select the next image (as it happens on deletion). I'm sure I don't need to elaborate on this one and it's really surprising this is not the default.
m.Th.
XnThusiast

Re: Two QoL improvements for cataloguing images

Post by m.Th. »

1. Allow toggling a "don't expand a folder's subfolders upon copying or moving a file into it" option (use instead the windows explorer default of expanding the subfolders by hovering on the folder for a few seconds) as many times I'm not interested in working on sub-cataloguing yet and the constantly expanding folders quickly force to scroll up and down to find main folders.
+1

Call it "Don't expand folders upon drag & drop file transfer" - easier to understand. However it can be a little tricky to implement. It depends on what lies underneath in (Qt) code.
2. After a file is dragged from a folder to another, automatically select the next image (as it happens on deletion). I'm sure I don't need to elaborate on this one and it's really surprising this is not the default.
Sure. +1. Very easy to implement.

I hope Pierre will find time to do them. Even if their impact isn't very big, they can be very handy in certain situations of on-disk management (personally I use a lot Alt+M).
m. Th.

- Dark Themed XnViewMP 1.6 64bit on Win11 x64 -