Conversion of Craft Artist project files

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

BabyAlpaca

Conversion of Craft Artist project files

Post by BabyAlpaca »

Sorry if this question is naive but I have been using a Serif package called CraftArtistProfessional 2; the file is .craft
This package has now been closed down and I am left with literally hundreds of digikits, which, with the software crashing I'd like to be able to change the digikits into files I can use with another programme. Serif are unhelpful so I wondered whether, if I changed the files to .jpg perhaps that would enable me to start the process, however I have no idea what .craft "really" is.
I have Xnview but am unsure how to proceed.
I'd really appreciate some help, if someone is able to provide guidance,please
Many thanks
JollyRoger

Re: Conversion of files

Post by JollyRoger »

I've never heard of .craft files, but an internet search throws up this site, which may be of some help: https://file.org/extension/craft
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Samples:
These are basically ZIP archives with a .craft filename extension and an internal sctructure similar to that of Office Open XML (including an embedded JPEG preview thumbnail). Although XnView supports the formats of some of the resources contained in Craft Artist project files (like .wdp = Windows Media Photo), .craft seems to be proprietary :-|
  • TerriMouw @ YouTube: Craft Artist 2 to SVG – part 1 & part 2
    “With Serif's new Craft Artist 2, now you can export your embellishments to SVG format for use with Print & Cut projects and your digital die cutting machine!”
m.Th.
XnThusiast

Post by m.Th. »

These are basically ZIP archives with a .craft filename extension and an internal sctructure similar to that of Office Open XML (including an embedded JPEG preview thumbnail).
So, XnView can already see these files. The code was added when we did support the MS Office / OpenOffice etc. Just add the .craft format to the list.
m. Th.

- Dark Themed XnViewMP 1.6 64bit on Win11 x64 -
m.Th.
XnThusiast

Post by m.Th. »

...to return to the topic at hand:

Take the engine used to open the Office files (IOW handle the craft file as an zip archive and read the zip) and generate the thumb from preview.jpg file inside the zip file.
m. Th.

- Dark Themed XnViewMP 1.6 64bit on Win11 x64 -
chrismwesthead

Re: Conversion of Craft Artist project files

Post by chrismwesthead »

Hi,
Make a copy of the Craft Artist Pack file to keep the original safe.
Use 7zip (or similar) to unzip the copy pack file.
Use XnConvert to convert the Image folder to png (or the file of your choice).
Creative Fibro

Re: Conversion of Craft Artist project files

Post by Creative Fibro »

I am just wondering if BabyAlpaca had any success with this at all. I too used to use Craft Artist on Windows and now I have the Affinity Suite on Mac. I have all my Digikit folders still.
When I unzip the kit folder I am presented with:
autorun.exe (which won't unzip)
setup.exe (which won't unzip)
a packs folder which has a file inside called packname.pack
autorun.inf
Serif Craft Artist Content.inf
setup.ini
craftartist.ico (the icon I know that one)

I am unsure how from here, if at all I would be able to get all the .png files out?
I think my last hope will be to access them on windows and copy them across unless anyone has another idea?

Thanks