make selection > transparent?

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView Classic.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

sklnner

make selection > transparent?

Post by sklnner »

hi, i have a .bmp and i want to manually select a rectangular area and make it transparent, can i do that with XNView?
when i make the selection, press delete and save as .png, the result image/area is not transparent but filled with background color
Windows 7, XNView 1.99

thank you for XNView btw, great program
sklnner

Re: make selection > transparent?

Post by sklnner »

i pressed Image > 32 bits, repeated the same procedure and it works now
is there a way to do this with Batch Processing for many images?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

sklnner wrote:is there a way to do this with Batch Processing for many images?
you can try XnConvert, there is a 'change depth 32bits'
Pierre.
sklnner

Post by sklnner »

thanks, it's not working, to sum it up:

- XnView > open single .bmp/.png > cannot make selection transparent
- XnView > open single .bmp/.png > Image > 32 bits > can make selection transparent
- XnView > open single .bmp/.png > Image > 32 bits > save > close > reopen same single .bmp > cannot make selection transparent
- XnConvert > add .bmp/.png file > Actions > Convert Color Depth > 32 bits Alpha 255 > convert > XnView > open resulting .bmp/.png file > cannot make selection transparent

i read an older post of yours replying to another question and you said that all you need to do in order to make a selection transparent on a .png file is press delete
why do i have to press Image > 32 bits and why is it only working temporalily and not when i save the file?

thanks
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Could you please check your settings, sklnner?
XnTriq ([url=http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?p=146198#p146198]A new visual bug in 2.41 version about pictures with alpha[/url]) wrote:In order to turn ViewUse alpha channel on and off, Ignore alpha channel (ToolsOptions...GeneralOperations) has to be disabled, and you have to open a 32-bit image in view mode. If you're dealing with a PNG file, you also have to deactivate → Compose image with alpha (32bits) in ToolsOptions...Read/WriteReadPNG.
sklnner

Post by sklnner »

i disabled Tools > Options > General > Operations > Ignore Alpha Channel and now it's working in every way, whether XnConvert or XnView, the rest of the options were as you described
thanks
-
if i may, is it possible to get rid of XnView's borders when viewing images on windowed (non full screen) mode? it would help a lot when replicating, comparing images, placing XnView on top of another image etc, thanks again
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

sklnner wrote:if i may, is it possible to get rid of XnView's borders when viewing images on windowed (non full screen) mode? it would help a lot when replicating, comparing images, placing XnView on top of another image etc, thanks again
You mean something like a chrome-less mode?
sklnner

Post by sklnner »

yes something like that, im primarily interested in removing left/bottom/right borders but title/menu bar would be nice too
i read the posts (2012-2013) but im not sure if it has been implemented as an option on a newer version or not(?)
in any case im already using a ahk script so i'll see what's possible through ahk, sometimes there are user rights incompatibilites (one program will need ahk as administrator while another will still only work with non-admin ahk) so i generally prefer not to go with ahk for such things
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

sklnner wrote:i read the posts (2012-2013) but im not sure if it has been implemented as an option on a newer version or not(?)
No, that hasn't been implemented in any version (Classic/MP) of XnView. I don't know whether Pierre has plans to do so in the future.
sklnner

Post by sklnner »

ah ok thnx, i'll go with ahk then, keep up the good work