Forced to convert color after scanning with TWAIN

Bugs found in XnView Classic. Please report only one bug per topic!

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

jens116

Forced to convert color after scanning with TWAIN

Post by jens116 »

If I scan a gray-scale picture (8 bit) with TWAIN and then tell XnView to save it, a menu opens to convert the color mode of the picture - by default into 24 bit color. For me this convertion menu should not be standard because it is unnecessary. It gets on my nerves after every scan. The color mode I select with TWAIN should be the color mode I want to save the picture. If not one can convert it manually.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Forced to convert color after scanning with TWAIN

Post by xnview »

jens116 wrote:If I scan a gray-scale picture (8 bit) with TWAIN and then tell XnView to save it, a menu opens to convert the color mode of the picture - by default into 24 bit color. For me this convertion menu should not be standard because it is unnecessary. It gets on my nerves after every scan. The color mode I select with TWAIN should be the color mode I want to save the picture. If not one can convert it manually.
Which format do you use?
Pierre.

Post by Guest »

xnview wrote:Which format do you use?
Sorry, I didn't mention it. The Format was JPEG.

XnView: 1.801
Windows: 98 SE
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Anonymous wrote:
xnview wrote:Which format do you use?
Sorry, I didn't mention it. The Format was JPEG.
So perhaps normal, jpeg can only save grey or truecolors picture, and your TWAIN driver return perhaps a colormap picture...
Pierre.
jens116

Post by jens116 »

xnview wrote:So perhaps normal, jpeg can only save grey or truecolors picture, and your TWAIN driver return perhaps a colormap picture...
No, I don't think so, because after the picture is imported from TWAIN the statusbar of XnView showes 256 colors. That means that XnView knows that this is a grey picture. Besides that the convert color window opens automatically only if grey pictures were imported and not if color pictures were imported.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

jens116 wrote:
xnview wrote:So perhaps normal, jpeg can only save grey or truecolors picture, and your TWAIN driver return perhaps a colormap picture...
No, I don't think so, because after the picture is imported from TWAIN the statusbar of XnView showes 256 colors. That means that XnView knows that this is a grey picture. Besides that the convert color window opens automatically only if grey pictures were imported and not if color pictures were imported.
No 256 colors means 256 colors with colormap
Pierre.
jens116

Post by jens116 »

xnview wrote:No 256 colors means 256 colors with colormap
I think you are right. May be someone else in the forum has this problems with the TWAIN Epson Scan 2.56 ?