2.39 does not keep all preferences

Bugs found in XnView Classic. Please report only one bug per topic!

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

siepict

2.39 does not keep all preferences

Post by siepict »

Hi,
the first time that I have a problem with XnView:
after installing 2.39 some of the preferences will not be accepted. Even after changing, XNV is starting with its own (one example thumb background colour).
horst
helmut

Re: 2.39 does not keep all preferences

Post by helmut »

Thank you for your problem report, horst. This sounds like a permission problem. Could you please check where XnView saves its settings? The full path of the .ini files is displayed in the About dialog (menu "Info > About..."). Does XnView have permission to write into that folder?

Related topic:
- Info about XnView's settings (store & load)
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

siepict wrote:... after installing 2.39 some of the preferences will not be accepted. Even after changing, XnView is starting with its own (one example thumb background colour).
horst
In Tools > Options... > System integration where do you have your ini file located?

If you are using Windows 7 or later, and have the ini located in XnView (the program folder), Windows or the Registry rather than User, access to update changes may be not be possible from a user account...
siepict

Post by siepict »

Hi Helmut, such a quick response :-) .
Strange issue (for me):
I duplicated the ini in the program folder (as BackUp) and tried to edit and save, but saving will be rejected.
I did 'the same procedure than every time', have several updates of XnView performed with this laptop with win 7 64.
I do have a valid Image of my system and will play back.
siepict

Post by siepict »

Mmhhh, ...
the old version is running again after playing back my image and doing some tests and tweaks to bring back my old layout. In the end:
The path you told me to look at is C:\Program Files (x86)\XnView\xnview.ini , but looking at that folder, there is no ini.
But I found the valid one in C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\XnView
-
Changing the path of the ini file in the preferences will not be accepted.
horst
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

siepict wrote:Mmhhh, ...
the old version is running again after playing back my image and doing some tests and tweaks to bring back my old layout. In the end:
The path you told me to look at is C:\Program Files (x86)\XnView\xnview.ini , but looking at that folder, there is no ini.
But I found the valid one in C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\XnView
-
Changing the path of the ini file in the preferences will not be accepted.
horst
move the files from C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\XnView to C:\Users\...\AppData\Roaming\XnView
Pierre.
siepict

Post by siepict »

Hi,
xnview wrote: move the files from ...
yes, I did so, but XnView keeps on reading and writing to C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\XnView
It doesn't bother me too much as I now know which ini is the valid one.
horst