0.84: "Compare window" without Tabs

Reported bugs that have been closed and/or resolved

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

xnview
Author of XnView

Re: 0.84: "Compare window" without Tabs

Post by xnview »

tboy wrote:
xnview wrote:sorry about CTRL key, so without tabs, you have only ESC to close the compare window
Only Esc key is closing the 'Compare' window properly (returning to Browser), but pressing [X] button will not return to Browser, it will exit the program - I think this is a bug.
Pressing [X] button on 'Compare' must return to Browser, as it is in xnViewClasic.
in XnView Classic, compare is a dialog not a tab. If you press 'X', it's to close the app
so perhaps adding a new icon to quit compare window??
Pierre.
helmut

Post by helmut »

xnview wrote:... in XnView Classic, compare is a dialog not a tab. If you press 'X', it's to close the app
A good user interface is works intuitively and as expected. Expectation here is to close the compare dialog (and not the program) when clicking on 'X'.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

helmut wrote:
xnview wrote:... in XnView Classic, compare is a dialog not a tab. If you press 'X', it's to close the app
A good user interface is works intuitively and as expected. Expectation here is to close the compare dialog (and not the program) when clicking on 'X'.
if you have some view or browser, and you click on'X', the app quits, so it must be the same with compare tab.
Pierre.
tboy

Post by tboy »

xnview wrote:
helmut wrote:
xnview wrote: if you have some view or browser, and you click on'X', the app quits, so it must be the same with compare tab.
I think for Compare window as an additional, temporary, helper tool - to choose image by some criteria and return to main window
So it is must not quit the appl when closed, but return to main window. As in Classic - no mater if it is dialog window or whatever called.
tboy

Post by tboy »

Pierre, if you think [x} must exit app to keep similarity in action with 'browser' or 'view', then you have to add additional button -'back to browser' in Compare - as in View mode. Because there is no other way to return to browser with mouse click (with tabs off).
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

tboy wrote:Pierre, if you think [x} must exit app to keep similarity in action with 'browser' or 'view', then you have to add additional button -'back to browser' in Compare - as in View mode. Because there is no other way to return to browser with mouse click (with tabs off).
you have the same problem if you open an image in edit mode, you need to close it by ESC
Pierre.
tboy

Post by tboy »

Yes, and I use 'Browse' button to return.
IF 'Edit mode' = 'View mode' ?
tboy

Post by tboy »

Something like this:
1.jpg
OR
2.jpg
2.jpg (11.86 KiB) Viewed 1336 times
tboy

Post by tboy »

Helmut say: ...A good user interface is works intuitively and as expected....
Pierre say: ...if you have some view or browser, and you click on'X', the app quits, so it must be the same with compare tab.
What you both say is true.

Looking at xnTriq and Helmut opinion for the problem in this topic - they both decided this is a bug. Me too- thats why I started the topic. This was the intuitive feeling of users - a bug.

Looks like, the main question here is : Are these windows - Browser, Compare and View, equal in appl hierarchy. My opinion is - they are not, Compare and View are secondary and dependent windows of the Main - the Browser.
If this logic is acceptable, then [x] button in View and Compare modes must act same way as ESC key, closing the current window and returning to Browser.
+
I do not see any reason ESC and [X] to have different behavior.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

tboy wrote:I do not see any reason ESC and [X] to have different behavior.
Even if you don't use Tabs, they are here. 'X' button is to close the full app like in any program (firefox, ...)
Pierre.
helmut

Post by helmut »

xnview wrote:
tboy wrote:I do not see any reason ESC and [X] to have different behavior.
Even if you don't use Tabs, they are here. 'X' button is to close the full app like in any program (firefox, ...)
@Pierre: For the user the Compare dialog is not a main window but a dialog. When closing the dialog, he/she expects to return to the main window. Anything else is unexpected behaviour which is no good. I strongly suggest to return to the main window when clicking on [x].
Please think about it a bit more and carefully and make a decision, then.
helmut

Post by helmut »

Not fixed (Clicking on [x] still exits XnView).

@Pierre: This bug report resided in "Restest - 0.85 beta". Did you fix a bug and/or change the behaviour of XnView?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

helmut wrote:Not fixed (Clicking on [x] still exits XnView).
@Pierre: This bug report resided in "Restest - 0.85 beta". Did you fix a bug and/or change the behaviour of XnView?
'Browse' icon was added, it's the fix. I can't change the behavior of app close icon
Pierre.
helmut

Post by helmut »

xnview wrote:
'Browse' icon was added, it's the fix. I can't change the behavior of app close icon
I see. The browser icon is at the bottom which is very unusual. Could you please move it to the top (just like in Viewer)?
m.Th.
XnThusiast

Post by m.Th. »

helmut wrote:
xnview wrote:
I see. The browser icon is at the bottom which is very unusual. Could you please move it to the top (just like in Viewer)?
The button must be where the attention center/ toolbar is. If he moves the toolbar at top then we will have two stacked toolbars: the main one and the one(s) from compare panes. As you wish.
m. Th.

- Dark Themed XnViewMP 1.6 64bit on Win11 x64 -