Add Borders after Autocrop

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

XnRoot

Add Borders after Autocrop

Post by XnRoot »

Hi,

i've scanned some of my very imported Books. To read them on my Tablet its better to crop all the white side edges. So every page is displayed as big as possible on the tablet and i don't need to zoom in. But the Text of some pages is smaller then the Rest, especially at the beginning of the chapters. When i use autocrop the page is very slim. I looks better when i add some borders after the autocrop. BUT: The pages should have nearly the same width.

Lets say the normal pages are auto-cropped to 1200px, but the "smaller" pages have something between 600 and 900px. I want to add borders to bring them to a width of (nearly) 1200px with batch convert.

My Idea was:
Adding big borders to the left and the right side with canvas resize and then crop it again to a total width of 1200px (600px from the middle in both directions). Can i do this with XnViewMP?
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Re: Add Borders after Autocrop

Post by XnTriq »

Is Add action> » Image » Canvas resize what you're looking for?
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

XnTriq wrote:Is Add action> » Image » Canvas resize what you're looking for?
That's in Tools > Batch convert...

But if batch conversions are all you need at the moment, it might be simpler to use XnConvert, and not have the overhead and extra complication of the file browser etc...
XnRoot

Post by XnRoot »

XnTriq wrote:Is Add action> » Image » Canvas resize what you're looking for?
No.

Lets say i have images with a width between 600 and 900px and i want final images with 1200px. when i do this with canvas it adds the width of the source image to the width i enter i canvas. when i source image has a width 600px and i use canvas resize with 1200px the output is 1800px (1200+600).

what i want is a image that has a width of 1200px no matter of the source files width (they will always be under 1200px, of course). i'm searching for a function that adds a white edge around the input image up to its width of 1200px.

i hope i could explain what i want with my very limited english. :?
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

XnRoot wrote:Lets say i have images with a width between 600 and 900px and i want final images with 1200px. when i do this with canvas it adds the width of the source image to the width i enter i canvas. when i source image has a width 600px and i use canvas resize with 1200px the output is 1800px (1200+600).

what i want is a image that has a width of 1200px no matter of the source files width (they will always be under 1200px, of course). i'm searching for a function that adds a white edge around the input image up to its width of 1200px.
I think you want one of the Image > Resize... options, but I can't check as I'm on Android... :wink:
helmut

Post by helmut »

XnRoot wrote:Lets say i have images with a width between 600 and 900px and i want final images with 1200px. when i do this with canvas it adds the width of the source image to the width i enter i canvas. when i source image has a width 600px and i use canvas resize with 1200px the output is 1800px (1200+600). ...
If I understand right, you don't want to resize the image but make its canvas larger while keeping the image's size. Then, "Image > Canvas Resize" is the action in batch processing you need.

Make sure to set the parameters as follows:
Width: 1200 <- Or whatever final width you desire
Height: 1200 <- Or whatever final height you desire
[ ] Relative <- This one controls whether above values are interpreted as deltas (relative) to the current width/height or as final width/height. You want to set final widht/height, so make sure you have it unchecked. Please note that this option is available in Batch processing, only.

Notes:
- To make things easier you could try with one image: Open the image and use Image » Canvas Resize.

- As long as your images are all smaller than the specified final size, the above batch processing with one action will work nicely. If you intend to also process images larger than your final size, then you have to use two actions in Batch processing/conversion: First an Image Resize and then a Canvas Resize.
XnRoot

Post by XnRoot »

@ helmut

yes, thats it. thanks.