Doesn't delete in 'view' mode

Reported bugs that have been closed and/or resolved

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

JMM72

Doesn't delete in 'view' mode

Post by JMM72 »

XnView MP 0.80 64bit, under Windows 7 64 bit.
Deleting in explorer mode works. In view mode, be it full screen or not, doesn't trigger. I noticed the key shortcut got deleted, and reconfigured it beforehand, but deleting only works on explorer mode.
*edit*
Installing 0.79 doesn't solve it. However it made it deleting work from the context menu in view mode (right click), but the key shortcut (whatever you put) doesn't work. Installing 0.80 again makes no deleting possible in view mode, neither from key shortcut nor context menu.
vienna550

Re: Doesn't delete in 'view' mode

Post by vienna550 »

Hello there

and first of all let me say a big, big thank you for such a great software, all your efforts and your time!

Running Fedora 23 64bit and the brand new 0.80 of XnViewMP I can confirm that it's not possible anymore to delete images in view-mode. The del-key is still assigned to cmd_deletefile, but nothing happens when you press it in view-mode. As it is already described in the post above the problem also exists when you try to delete images via context-menu.

Thank you for your help!
Last edited by vienna550 on Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Spirit

Post by The Spirit »

Same problem here, using Windows 10.
In explorer- and viewermode the del key does not work.

Hope it will be fixed soon !
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

See Issue 881 for details.
Pierre.
JMM72

Post by JMM72 »

I hope you can follow me. While delete doesn't work by itself, there's a way to make it work, as in modern keyboards there are two delete keys. One is in they numeric keypad, and the other is in the access cluster just over the stand-alone arrow keys (the cluster usually has 6 keys: insert, delete, home, end, pgup and pgdown).
Under Windows 7 64 Bit, using spanish keyboard just in case it is important.
I uninstalled XnViewMP, and installed 0.79, still preserving the old configuration files. If you go to configuration, interface, shortcuts, and assign to cmd_Delete (under view mode) the key Del, it will not work. However, if you assign the dot key (which in the numeric keypad shares key with delete), it will work. It's independent of the state of Num Lock, btw. Not only the one in the numeric keypad, but also the other one above the arrow keys. So strange. It puzzles me how pressing delete sends a dot, but it also puzzles me that the normal assigment of Del works in explorer mode but not in view mode, as if keys are handled completely differently in each mode.
If you install again 0.80, the above trick doesn't work, but installing over 0.79 makes it work again.
I hope this quirky trick sheds some light on what's happening. Being able to delete files while viewing them is probably the way I use XnViewMP mostly. I also hope we can have a quick fix in form of 0.80.1 or similar! Good luck on bug hunting!
krzysiu

Post by krzysiu »

Supposedly fixed, but in 0.81 in Win7 64 it's still not working. I can use it by File menu, but all three modes of shortcut fails:
1) When I set shortcut to "none", File>Delete still have "Del" as shortcut
2) I can't click on "default"
3) "own" as del don't work

Thanks, JMM72. Your out-of-the-box way works great!
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

krzysiu wrote:Supposedly fixed, but in 0.81 in Win7 64 it's still not working. I can use it by File menu, but all three modes of shortcut fails:
1) When I set shortcut to "none", File>Delete still have "Del" as shortcut
2) I can't click on "default"
3) "own" as del don't work
Del key doesn't works?? Try to rename your default.keys file?
Pierre.
JMM72

Post by JMM72 »

I can confirm that in 0.81 64 bit the Del key still doesn't work (Win 7 64 bit). Still using the dot key trick I previously described. I'm too tired to check if 0.81 32 bit works, but if there's a difference there I guess it's worth checking.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

JMM72 wrote:I can confirm that in 0.81 64 bit the Del key still doesn't work (Win 7 64 bit). Still using the dot key trick I previously described. I'm too tired to check if 0.81 32 bit works, but if there's a difference there I guess it's worth checking.
??? i've tried on a clean ini, and del key works in view mode. You start XnViewMP, open a picture in view mode, and press del key?
(In 0.80, File>Delete or DEL key do nothing)
Pierre.
krzysiu

Post by krzysiu »

I renamed the file and it works. Also when I changed the line from "cmd_deleteFile ," (JMM72 hack; I've got pl locale, so I had to use comma instead dot) to "cmd_deleteFile" it works as well. Sadly I don't know what has been there before applying JMM72 hack :/
JMM72

Post by JMM72 »

Well we're getting to the bottom of it. By default, deleting in view mode doesn't have any key set, but it uses Del, and it works. What doesn't work is if you go to key shortcuts and assign Del to delete in view mode, and that's what caused all this upheaval with Del not working. Strange, isn't it? You can assign any other key and it works, but not the Del key. If you unassign (choose default or none) it still doesn't work with the Del key, but if you close XnViewMP and then run it again, it works again, as long as you don't reassign the Del key...

Opening default.keys and deleting the line cmd_deleteFile from the [view] section has the same effect. With this I'll leave the lil research.
Octopuss

Post by Octopuss »

I've just came here to report the bug is still not fixed, but I see others were faster.
I have Del key associated with deleting a file in both browser and view mode, and it just wouldn't work.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Octopuss wrote:I've just came here to report the bug is still not fixed, but I see others were faster.
I have Del key associated with deleting a file in both browser and view mode, and it just wouldn't work.
Could you please give 0.83 beta 1 a spin?
grobi

Post by grobi »

in 0.83 Beta 1 delete is working in View Mode!