XnView Shell Extension

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

omniplex

Re: XnView Shell Extension

Post by omniplex »

Paultx wrote:I have XnView Shell Extension 3.00 running on a Windows 7 Pro 64-bit system. It was installed by an administrator (I don't have admin rights).
That won't work, you need admin rights and a command line to run unregister.bat where you have the old XnViewShellExt64.dll. After that's done by somebody with admin rights the old DLL and old BAT files can be renamed to OLD (and if all goes well deleted later.)

It's also possible that the old DLL was installed, you would see an unins000.exe with an unins000.dat where you have the DLL and BAT files, ignore these unins000.* files, all they do is the same unregister.bat procedure, additionally they delete the folder where you have DLL and BAT, the registry entry for remove program, etc., lots of minor clerical tasks you are not interested in while trying to upgrade your old XnViewShellExt64.dll.

After unregister.bat in the old folder did something or not simply reboot, that's one (clumsy) way to restart explorer. The restarted explorer won't use the old XnViewShellExt64.dll, because you just unregistered it. And you can rename or delete the old DLL when the restarted explorer doesn't use it. Now copy the new DLL and new register.bat + unregister.bat to where you found the old (now renamed or deleted) stuff. Start again a command line with admin rights, and run register.bat. Restart explorer again (reboot or a simpler solution, e.g., logout + login, or taskmanager kill + start explorer, any procedure you know and are comfortable with.) Ready, explorer uses the new registered DLL.
w64bit

Post by w64bit »

Please change Copyright year to 2015 in About window (3.5.1, x64 version).
Also, e-mail and URL links are not displayed even if the cursor "hand" is displayed when hovering.
omniplex

Post by omniplex »

w64bit wrote:Please change Copyright year to 2015 in About window (3.5.1, x64 version).
The 32bit version working in a Windows 2000 virtual machine also says 2012 without mail address, so that's a general build issue.

Maybe it's only me, because I installed the shell extensions "manually" (unregister, kill explorer, copy new, register, kill explorer, ready), but WebP still doesn't work for me with the extension. Is that as it should be, or is there some new and on my box missing registry entry for WebP somewhere?
nim

Post by nim »

Could this shell ex have the Batch Processing xnview feature in the operations list? I usually crop lots of daily youtube print screens and opening the xnview browser in a folder full of large png's is very slow as xnview tries to load a thumbnail of every large png even in details view in the xnview browser and I could just as well make the file selection in windows explorer and then xnview shell ex>Batch on the images if possible. Thanks for this shell ex! :-)
Megalith

Post by Megalith »

Does this allow you to convert images to the .ICO file type? And it doesn't overwrite the original file during conversion, does it?
Peter2
XnThusiast

Post by Peter2 »

nim wrote:... as xnview tries to load a thumbnail of every large png even in details view in the xnview browser ...
When? Where? How? Can you show some examples?

I have no thumbs in Detail view ...
XnViewMP 1.6.5 German, XnConvert 1.99, Win 10
Peter2
XnThusiast

Post by Peter2 »

Megalith wrote:Does this allow you to convert images to the .ICO file type? ...
Yes, take a look at the command "Convert..."
Megalith wrote:... And it doesn't overwrite the original file during conversion, does it?
It creates a numbered file (name_1, name_2, ..) if target file already exists. You can try ...

Peter
XnViewMP 1.6.5 German, XnConvert 1.99, Win 10
cw2002

Post by cw2002 »

*** Right klick on a JBIG file does not show context menue ***

In Windows Explorer, if you right click on a image file which is supported by XnView out-of-the-box, a context menue will be displayed, showing a thumbnail and options such as 'convert into' , ...', 'rotate', etc (the XnShell).

This context menue is NOT displayed for JBG or JBIG files, although the input-output plugin xjbig.dll for this file type is existing in the plugins file of both XnView and XnConvert x86 and do work with these applications.

Can this be fixed? Thx for any hint.

Christopher
cw2002

Post by cw2002 »

cw2002 wrote:*** Right klick on a JBIG file does not show context menue ***
I think I found the problem but not a solution: Probably XnShell x64 can not make use of the JBIG I/O-plugin which is 32bit. I tried to install XnShell x86 on Windows 7 64bit but it does not work, as expected.

Please, can anyone who runs Windows 32bit test, if XnShell can handle JBIG images and confirm? I uploaded a JBIG file to test with.

Pierre, is there a plan to make I/O-plugins for 64bit?

Any other ideas?
tnx, christopher
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

cw2002 wrote:
cw2002 wrote:*** Right klick on a JBIG file does not show context menue ***
Pierre, is there a plan to make I/O-plugins for 64bit?
yes XnShell 32bits can't use 64bits plugins, and no plan for a x64 version
Pierre.
alexflex

Post by alexflex »

Hello and thanks a lot for this little but so efficiant shell !
I have a question : would it be possible to add other fonctions like, Grayscale, auto-contrast, compress...
Thanks for your answer
and for your work
Alex
:D
geoffm

Post by geoffm »

It would be nice if we could choose the color that will replace alpha when converting alpha-enabled formats to formats with no transparency (e.g. PNG to JPG). Right now it just makes it all black.
cherwally

Post by cherwally »

I am using the Shell Extension 3.5.1 on Win7 32bit.
Very useful small utility for photos ;)
But... how does it work the feature "Send to ImageShack"?
I mean...doesn't suppose to return a link where the photo is posted (if that was done) ?
Or to simply open the link of the posted picture in a browser?
It sure can be useful a fast image posting online like that on ImageShack, TinyPic...etc...
maurizio.sedda

Unable to register the DLL/OCX

Post by maurizio.sedda »

I'm using XnView since the beginning and I'm grateful for the amazing application you gave us.

Now I'm not able anymore to use XnView Shell Extension. I receive this message:
"Unable to register the DLL/OCX: RegSvr32 failed with exit code 0x5."

I'm using Win 7 x64.

Thanks in advance,
Maurizio
Mixer
Banned

Re: Unable to register the DLL/OCX

Post by Mixer »

maurizio.sedda wrote:Now I'm not able anymore to use XnView Shell Extension. I receive this message:
"Unable to register the DLL/OCX: RegSvr32 failed with exit code 0x5."

I'm using Win 7 x64.
What has changed from the last time you had success using Xn shell extension? Are you sure you're using x64 version on x64 OS?
Using 32-bit shell extensions in Windows 7 64-bit
XnView Shell Extension downloads
Do you have any advanced security software like ZoneAlarm working which can potentially silently block your register attempts?