Categories UI

Ideas for improvements and requests for new features in XnView MP

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

orbspider

Categories UI

Post by orbspider »

It looks like category UI has received something of a refit. :)

A good thing is export/import of keywords as txt file. good in case the list gets swamped by several hundred unwanted ones and the list needs cleaning/re-import.

Something that would greatly help me (I mentioned it a while ago) - categories in the list should be clickable on the name to check them - just as we click on names in the Filters pane. The check box is fidgety to click on.

So Category Sets are custom lists of frequent/topical keywords, to get to fast, that's good. And I can move it under the categories list. BUT, it demands quite a bit of screen width, therefore pushing the thumbnails over. Any way to allow it to squash up a bit?
--the "layout" controls force it wide right? how about the drop-down set to far right and the 3 buttons really thin and underneath it?

A UI problem for me, -- the button lists are whitish bg, with light grey text!! The light grey is my style_sheet colour, but the bg, it needs to be a tad darker... got in styles_sheet??

Adding to a custom list with the manager doesn't look too easy -- i can search but can't copy from a list (greyed out button). Really need the whole category list to choose from.

cheers
m.Th.
XnThusiast

Re: Categories UI

Post by m.Th. »

1. Perhaps this might be of interest for you: http://www.xnview.com/wiki/index.php/Ca ... _XnView_MP

2. What screen resolution do you have?

3. For
Adding to a custom list with the manager doesn't look too easy -- i can search but can't copy from a list (greyed out button). Really need the whole category list to choose from.
+100.

In the next version it should be added for a certain category in the right-click popup menu 'Add to Set...'
m. Th.

- Dark Themed XnViewMP 1.6 64bit on Win11 x64 -
orbspider

Post by orbspider »

hmm, the instruction manual... a bliss to find it..
orbspider

Post by orbspider »

here you can see my layout, the Cat set takes up space. and the bg color of sets is too pale.
Attachments
xnview-131118-2.jpeg
m.Th.
XnThusiast

Post by m.Th. »

orbspider wrote:here you can see my layout, the Cat set takes up space. and the bg color of sets is too pale.
1. For the colors - Go to View | Theme | Dark Theme and in the css code there (it is an edit box with a "language" with a bunch of accolades) go to the end and look for something like:

Code: Select all

ActionPanelItem {
	background-color: rgb(90, 90, 90); 
}

ActionPanelItem .QLabel{
	color: black; 
}

QDockWidget ActionPanelItem .QLabel{
        color: red;
}

QDockWidget ActionPanelItem {
	background-color: rgb(90, 90, 90); }
I would play with the last declaration here and press Apply from time to time to see what's happening.

-----------------------

2. Boy, you have quitta a small resolution. :(

Perhaps is better to change the GUI a little?

Something like this?
Category-Sets-Manager.png
Category-Sets-Manager.png (25.67 KiB) Viewed 1969 times
...or perhaps even better:

To put the Manager Button in the Tooling Button depicted above? Something like this:
Category-Sets-Manager.png
Category-Sets-Manager.png (34.4 KiB) Viewed 1969 times
m. Th.

orbspider

Post by orbspider »

You mean a low resolution... 1280x800 :( on a 5 yr old laptop.

funny enough I have no "ActionPanelItem" entry at all in my dark theme css. hmm (I copied to text editor ans searched it)

so I just took your snippet and put it there, pressed apply, and hey presto, not bad! I can definitely do better with that. cheers m.Th :D
Attachments
xnview-131118-5.jpeg
xnview-131118-5.jpeg (32.1 KiB) Viewed 1948 times
orbspider

Post by orbspider »

the category set text is a bit yellow htough, any ideas, I can't get it to change!
orbspider

Post by orbspider »

Ok I needed to restart Xnview to affect colors

I use

QDockWidget ActionPanelItem .QLabel{
        color: rgb(80, 80, 80); 
}
to change the set title color

and

QDockWidget
{ 
   background-color: rgb(90, 90, 90);
   border-top: 1px solid orange;
   color:rgb(110, 110, 110);
changes the listed categories color - but as soon as a file is selected another color comes into play, more yellowish, and I'm not sure I have the code for it
orbspider

Post by orbspider »

while I'm at it, I should ask if you've any idea about getting the color of Settings left-hand pane text... its kind of black on dark grey, items are only visible with hover..
some other text fields do that too, such as the category set manager - the list under the set name is black text on dark. so if you have any idea much appreciated :)

And thumbnail tooltip colours... where to find that?
Attachments
xnview-131118-6.jpeg
xnview-131118-6.jpeg (21.71 KiB) Viewed 1935 times
m.Th.
XnThusiast

Post by m.Th. »

while I'm at it, I should ask if you've any idea about getting the color of Settings left-hand pane text... its kind of black on dark grey, items are only visible with hover..
It is most probably unrelated to XnView MP. It is a problem with your Linux theme. I saw that also your menus are semi-transparent. Try to change the theme of your OS.

Also, for other things perhaps is better to ask in Qt forums (it is something related to Qt theming, not directly related to XnView) and/or ask later on here. Now Pierre is busy with the new release. My knowledge in Qt widgeting/theming are rather basic.
m. Th.

orbspider

Post by orbspider »

ok, I'll hang on, and try a few things... the dark grey bg is my theme, correct. its the black text colour on a lot of dialogues that I need to find.

i like semi-transparency menus!

cheers
orbspider

Post by orbspider »

Hi there, this is my last suggestion before leaving the internet for 2mths... :arrow:

Seeing <Unsaved Layout> all the time ....is that to inform me I should use the save function? What if I already saved?

-after I save a layout that layout name should be in that box above.
-replace the + button with a "save" icon button
-I click on save and a pop-up shows with my layout name
-I can click OK to write over it (update it) or type over it a new name (save new layout)
-then only need save button and trash button
-Layout box length could be shortened

thanks

also, I added this at the top of the qss file (by complete guess-work) and it altered the sets text colour, as well as location bar text and toolbar text (so its not the perfect solution)

:active{
   color: rgb(183,183,183);
}