Switch off tooltips? (Info pane and tree pane)

Bugs and Suggestions in XnView MP or XnConvert MP which have been resolved.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Klaas

Switch off tooltips? (Info pane and tree pane)

Post by Klaas »

Once again I am not sure if this a general question, a feature request or even a bug report, I'm sorry...

How can I prevent these tooltips from popping up in the info pane and in the tree pane every time I roll over an item? I find them rather annoying because they tell me the same things again and again while hiding the things I actually want to see. For example, they hide parts of my category order when I want to categorize my images:
tooltips.jpg
Okay, the screenshot was made under Linux with Xfce desktop, and it looks a little less brutal under Windows 7 ;-) - but the tooltips are intrusive and disturbing anyway, as to my humble opinion... I mean, that clicking a checkbox will toggle its status and that right-clicking its description will show further options is not such a great surprise indeed... I would prefer to be able to read all my categories. :-/

I know that it is possible to switch tooltips off for the thumbnails in browser mode (Settings -> Browser -> Use tooltips) - but not how to switch them off in the info pane and in the tree pane in browser mode. Is that possible? Thanks in advance and sorry again for my possibly stupid question.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Switch off tooltips? (Info pane and tree pane)

Post by xnview »

you have the tooltips when you are on category item??
Pierre.
Klaas

Post by Klaas »

Yes, I have the in the categories selection tool of the info pain (cf. screenshot) and in the categories and the favourites tab of the tree pane...
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Klaas wrote:Yes, I have the in the categories selection tool of the info pain (cf. screenshot) and in the categories and the favourites tab of the tree pane...
i'll check, on Windows the tooltips doesn't appear on items
Pierre.
Klaas

Post by Klaas »

Pierre,

thank you (again) for your reply, but for me it's the very same problem under Windows 7 (64 Bit) on the same machine (with a dual boot system): Those rather unwanted tooltips pop up in the info pane and in the tree pane over every item, and I cannot deactivate them (or yet did not manage to do so). Optically, it looks less drastic as under Linux/Xfce, but this is to the design of both OS/skins, the problem is essentially the same. Two screenshots:
infopane.jpg
treepane.jpg
treepane.jpg (37.34 KiB) Viewed 2645 times
(And btw thank you once again so very much for your great free software. I'm doing all my humble foto work with it - under Linux and under Win. :-) )
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

when you move the cursor on antoher item, the tooptip is not hidden?
Pierre.
Klaas

Post by Klaas »

No... the tooltips disappear immediately when I move the cursor to the center of my screen, i.e. to the thumbnails, but not when I move to another item in the info pane or of the tree pane. They indeed are hidden after about 10 seconds or a little longer when i move the cursor to another item - but only to re-appear after a very few seconds just under the actual position of the cursor.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Just some findings which may or may not be helpful:
m.Th. ([url=http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?p=113251#p113251]Hints & Help![/url]) wrote:Categories Tree from Categories Pane - a hint saying:
Click to filter - use Shift and Control for multiple selections.
Right Click on different items for pop-up menus with actions.
Drag and Drop oven the desired node to assign.

Categories Tree from Info Pane - a hint saying:
Click on check-box to toggle the assignment
Right Click for pop-up menu with actions.
KDE Community Forums ([url=https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?t=106736&#p245591]disable tooltips in all apps[/url]) wrote:These are Qt4 hardcoded tooltips. It seems that they can be disabled only by recompiling Qt with corresponding flag. If you are using source-based distribution try to add "-DQT_NO_TOOLTIP" to the "DEFINES" section of src/gui/Makefile in Qt code.

Remember that this change can take effect on Qt-only applications. It does nothing e.g., for Firefox or GIMP.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

See Issue 252 for current status and details.
Pierre.