Why register and purchase an XnView licence?

Frequently Asked Questions regarding XnView (including Answers)

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

helmut

Re: Why register and purchase an XnView licence?

Post by helmut »

salon wrote:We are a public-law institution in broadcast section. Are we included within allowed free use as a "public authorities"?
XnView is free for non-commercial usage. So usage is typically free for: City councils, fire brigades, police, hospitals, schools, universities, high schools, public authorities, and sure enough private persons which do not make profit out of XnView's usage. It's correct to contact the author (Pierre E. Gougelet) if in doubt.

From what I understand, public-law institutions are also non-profit companies, so free usage might apply, here, too. But only Pierre can give a 100% answer. An answer from Pierre's side might take some few days.
helmut

Re: Price for many licences

Post by helmut »

Peter2 wrote:I started to think about the prices, and IMHO there is a question on buying many licences... :?:

Example a:
80 licences - 9.5 Euro: 80 * 9,5 = 760 Euro
100 licences - 6 Euro: 100 * 6 = 600 Euro

What is the right calculation?
a) The more licences the cheaper the price (always per lic, sometimes totally)?
a.) is the correct calculation. In some cases (like your example above), it's cheaper to order more licences and thus get the next price level. Current pricing can be found on the XnView pages > Register.
salon

Post by salon »

thank you for your answer helmut.
i will wait of a answer from pierrre.
salon
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

salon wrote:We are a public-law institution in broadcast section. Are we included within allowed free use as a "public authorities"?
You can use XnView freely
Pierre.
gnulab

Post by gnulab »

helmut wrote:
Peter2 wrote:I started to think about the prices, and IMHO there is a question on buying many licences... :?:

Example a:
80 licences - 9.5 Euro: 80 * 9,5 = 760 Euro
100 licences - 6 Euro: 100 * 6 = 600 Euro

What is the right calculation?
a) The more licences the cheaper the price (always per lic, sometimes totally)?
a.) is the correct calculation. In some cases (like your example above), it's cheaper to order more licences and thus get the next price level. Current pricing can be found on the XnView pages > Register.
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I wonder if Peter2 is allowed to resell the unused (20) licence at 6 Euro?
helmut

Post by helmut »

gnulab wrote:... Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I wonder if Peter2 is allowed to resell the unused (20) licence at 6 Euro?
Reselling unused "licences" is not allowed and not legal. The order pages speaks of <x> licences for <y> EUR, actually, you do not purchase multiple licences but one licence and licence key with the right to install on <x> workstations.
mschnell

Post by mschnell »

Hi XnView Powers,

XnView just came to my attention. So I do have some initial questions, before daring to try the product.

We might be intending to use XnView in a commercial "Photo Service" company, so the free license is not applicable.

- In the forums, I did not find a thread about single licenses. We in fact will need two (supposedly Linux version if that matters) to begin with. What will be the price for that deal ?

- I found that currently XnView is version 0.5x. This sound like a Beta state. Is it already viable to use XnView in a critical production environment, or should we wait until 1.x is released ?

hanks for any answers,
-Michael
helmut

Post by helmut »

Hello Michael,

thank you for your interested in the XnView products. Price information for single licences can be found on the feature page for Xnview. There is a button "Purchase details" which will show the current price list. Licence price for two licences is currently 46 EUR, altogether.

Right, XnView MP is still in a beta state, but various companies use it productive, already. In the end it depends mainly on the usage (reading images, only, or even writing? Basic features or even categories and advanced features). I recommend to contact Pierre, the author of XnView, directly to clarify this.

Again, thank you very much for your interest and best regards,

Helmut
mschnell

Post by mschnell »

Helmut, thanks for your answer.

Currently we are very happy users of Thumbs Plus 7, and we do have a license for TP 9, but we did not convert yet, as we would rather move to Linux and due to the huge and increasing count of files we will need to convert to using a client server database instead of the standard "Jet engine" (AkA Access Database).

So we are not yet decided what to do and if we once might convert a major issue is that the new product offers all those features of TP we are heavily using (including the multi-user database infrastructure)and that (maybe with some additional tool programming that I might be able to do) the critical database content can be read in by the new system.

Some of the very often used necessary features include:

- "rotate to line": draw a virtual straight line on the picture and then it is rotated so that this line is exactly horizontal or vertical
- "crop to proportion": draw a virtual rectangle with the same width/hight aspect or with a selectable aspect /such as 2/3 or 3/2, ...) and then crop the picture to that rectangle
- "auto white balance" filter: define a rectangle on the picture and then the colors are corrected so that the average color in this rectangle is perfectly gray (r=g=b)
- modify color (e.g. contrast, color contrast, lightness using visual tweaking,
- definable batch processes (invocable from the menus) for changing the size of the selected pictures and "stamping" them with a (copyright) text
- quickly find pictures in a huge database (currently some 300.000 files) according to name pattern, keyword, similarity to a given picture, ...)
- organizing pictures in virtual folders ("galleries") that allow for manual sorting

Any chance that we will see these (and many more) easy to use features ?

-Michael
Andy_H

Usage of XnView commercial version

Post by Andy_H »

Hello,

i bought 7 licenses of XnView for me and my 6 colleagues in our (commercial) office.

Now one of us needs a Laptop for working in his home-office or at customers (for the company).
Can i install XnView at his Laptop?

He can only work in the Office or outside, but not at two Locations at the same time.

Thanks in advance.

Andy
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Usage of XnView commercial version

Post by xnview »

Andy_H wrote: He can only work in the Office or outside, but not at two Locations at the same time.
It's ok :)
Pierre.
teppei

Post by teppei »

Hi,

I would like to use xnview in my company.
I'm planning on doing it via an application server.

I have two questions:

-Are the licences for users or computers ?

-And if it's for computers I will use only one licence but if I buy 15 licences and limit (of course) the access for only 15 users . Does it work ?
Peter2
XnThusiast

Post by Peter2 »

Hi teppei

maybe you will get a faster response via e-mail: contact at xnview dot com

Peter
XnViewMP 1.6.5 German, XnConvert 1.99, Win 10
teppei

Post by teppei »

thanks for the asnwer. I do that right away
DimoK

Post by DimoK »

Greetings.
I have a question concerning licence of XnView Shell Extension.
There is a quote of License Agreement:
1. Disclaimer of warranty
XnView (or NConvert, XnView Shell Extension) is provided "as-is" and without warranty of any kind, express, implied or otherwise, including without limitation, any warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
In no event shall the author of this software be held liable for data loss, damages, loss of profits or any other kind of loss while using or misusing this software.
The software must not be modified, you may not decompile, disassemble.
However, in 2 paragraph there is no reference about licensing of XnView Shell Extension:
2. License
XnView (or NConvert) is provided as freeware for private (non commercial), or educational use, including non-profit organization (i.e. schools, universities, public authorities, police, fire brigade, and hospitals).
In this case, you are granted the right to use and to make an unlimited number of copies of this software.
Is that means, that XnView Shell Extension is absolutely freeware, including commercial use, or we should buy license for using it in commercial organization?

Thank you for reply.