0.61: Rating & Colour labels dissappear

*** Please report new bugs here! ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

piXuniverse

0.61: Rating & Colour labels dissappear

Post by piXuniverse »

Hi all,

First of all, as it's my first post here, i would like to say big thanks for this great piece of software!

Now, the bug i've found.
After upgrading to this new 0.61, i've noticed that labels i apply (color or number ratings) disappear after restarting XnViewMP. It's not happening all the time, which is why i could not yet find a way to describe how to reproduce it. Seems to me that doing anything that makes the main window loose focus (like copy file to another folder, or using Open with > xncovert or for example) right after or right before rating or color labeling a file, makes it happen. I could not reproduce this in folders with very few files in them though.

I don't know actually what causes it but heres the things i do when it happens: Needs to have like 100+ photos in the folder, scroll down the browser and try to color label a file, then use open with -> xncovert or something else, or use "Copy to" to copy the file elsewhere, then restart XnViewMP. The file should've lost the color label. If not, try a few more times. If it's still not happening, then its something else causing it on my end, although it only started happening with the very latest version, 0.61, or at least thats when i started to notice it :)

Hopefully someone else can also reproduce this bug, it's very annoying, at least for me, as i have over 25k photos and i need color labels to remember what photos i've already used.
Thanks.

edit: i have Windows 8 Pro with all updates, Intel i5 2400 cpu, 8gb ram, 2x2tb hdd, XnViewMP 0.61 x64 and x86 both have this bug. Oh and my xnview database is on the 2nd hard drive, xnview is on the 1st.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: MP 0.61 - Rating & Colour label

Post by xnview »

If you have a file with a rating/label, and you use 'open with' many times, the rating disappear??
Pierre.
piXuniverse

Post by piXuniverse »

Yes, i have many files that had color labels and they don't have it anymore, plus the new labels don't always stick either :) not all labels are gone, but most.

For example, one of my folders has 1232 images in it and like half of them were labeled with blue color label. Now that folder has exactly 54 labeled files :shock: yet, i have a folder with approximately same amount of images, that has all its labels intact, that's the strangest thing. Folder names are similar, "Misc 53" or "Misc 12", so they don't have any strange characters in them.

What i do is, look for a good photo, for example i need the 356th one in the folder, label it with blue then select "edit with", or "copy to", then after i restart XnViewMP the color label is gone most of the times. Then i tried using number ratings instead but they don't stick either most of the times.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

are you able to reproduce?
Which OS?
Pierre.
piXuniverse

Post by piXuniverse »

Yes, it happens all the time since i updated to this latest version 0.61, happened just now 5min ago when i tried to label 2 images. After restarting xnviewmp, labels are gone, but when i label them again after the said restart, labels will be ok.

OS is Windows 8 Pro with all updates, user acc control disabled, and as i said in my 1st post, i keep xnviewmps' database is on separate, 2nd hard drive.
Maybe it's important, but the database is migrated from the "old" XnViewMP 0.5x so i could keep the labels, but rebuilt all the thumbs for it.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

do you write the label in XMP?
Pierre.
piXuniverse

Post by piXuniverse »

I don't know about those things, i didn't change anything default for metadata settings. If default setting for this is to write in xmp, then yes.
oops66
XnThusiast

Post by oops66 »

piXuniverse wrote:I don't know about those things, i didn't change anything default for metadata settings. If default setting for this is to write in xmp, then yes.
FI: ... No the default behavior is always to first preserve the files/images integrity (so to write changes into data base only - Rating & Colour label & keywords, etc ... )
XnViewMP Linux X64 - Debian - X64
piXuniverse

Post by piXuniverse »

oops66 wrote:
piXuniverse wrote:I don't know about those things, i didn't change anything default for metadata settings. If default setting for this is to write in xmp, then yes.
FI: ... No the default behavior is always to first preserve the files/images integrity (so to write changes into data base only - Rating & Colour label & keywords, etc ... )
Well if thats the default, then thats how i have it set too! Only things i changed are layout related (thumb sizes, infos shown on under thumbs, using Layout nr. 3) and database location.
oops66
XnThusiast

Post by oops66 »

... In settings\metadata\Rating & Label
v Export rating in XMP metadata
v Export color label in XMP metadata

Comment
v Write comment in XMP (dczdescription and exif user comment)
XnViewMP Linux X64 - Debian - X64
piXuniverse

Post by piXuniverse »

oops66 wrote:... In settings\metadata\Rating & Label
v Export rating in XMP metadata
v Export color label in XMP metadata

Comment
v Write comment in XMP (dczdescription and exif user comment)
All 3 of those settings are unchecked.
piXuniverse

Post by piXuniverse »

Well if nobody has this problem or able to reproduce this, i guess its something on my end. I'll try to reinstall it completely and wipe the database too to see what happens.
piXuniverse

Post by piXuniverse »

I made a backup for the database and config files, and then deleted them all, xnviewmp too, then i downloaded it again and reinstalled it fresh. Same thing keeps happening, color labels keep disappearing after program restart :|

If really no one has this problem, maybe someone can give me some tips what to look for, to stop this bug from happening? I love XnViewMP soo much, using other software is not an option. Or maybe some tip how else can i keep track of used photos :)
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

piXuniverse wrote: If really no one has this problem, maybe someone can give me some tips what to look for, to stop this bug from happening? I love XnViewMP soo much, using other software is not an option. Or maybe some tip how else can i keep track of used photos :)
Please wait, i'll test tomorrow...
Pierre.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

I've tried on some images, but can't reproduce...
I rate/label some images, use open with or copy to, restart xnviewmp, and all is ok... :(
Pierre.