RC3: Thumbnail in TC integration

Bugs found in XnView Classic. Please report only one bug per topic!

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Icfu

Post by Icfu »

It's a question, you should have only high quality if option/Browser/thumbnail/high quality is enabled
Like I said, this setting has no influence, it's just the same as I have reported in the Total Commander RC1 thread. Setting on/off, it doesn't matter, no difference in quality.

Icfu
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Icfu wrote:
It's a question, you should have only high quality if option/Browser/thumbnail/high quality is enabled
Like I said, this setting has no influence, it's just the same as I have reported in the Total Commander RC1 thread. Setting on/off, it doesn't matter, no difference in quality.
I've checked with RC5, and it works...
Pierre.
SanskritFritz

Post by SanskritFritz »

Icfu wrote:BUT, it is ALWAYS used, regardless if the high quality setting in XNView is activated or not
Same here.
There's no place like 127.0.0.1
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

SanskritFritz wrote:
Icfu wrote:BUT, it is ALWAYS used, regardless if the high quality setting in XNView is activated or not
Same here.
If you use embedded thumbnail, i extract always thumbnail from jpeg file, and resize it to the wanted size. So here high quality is not used.
Pierre.
SanskritFritz

Post by SanskritFritz »

No embedded thumbnail here, but I found the problem. TC starts an own XnView instance and leaves it running. So if I change something in the options in XnView (which is another process), and want to see the result in TC, I have to kill that process first. Then it is working, so now I can switch between high quality and simple mode.
I must say, even with high quality, the thumbnail generation is very fast, much better than explorer, thanks!
There's no place like 127.0.0.1
Lesmo16

Post by Lesmo16 »

SanskritFritz wrote:No embedded thumbnail here, but I found the problem. TC starts an own XnView instance and leaves it running. So if I change something in the options in XnView (which is another process), and want to see the result in TC, I have to kill that process first. Then it is working, so now I can switch between high quality and simple mode.
I must say, even with high quality, the thumbnail generation is very fast, much better than explorer, thanks!
Thanks to you too, SanskritFritz - you've got it! :D
Everyone who believes in telekinesis, raise my hand!
Icfu

Post by Icfu »

Thanks for that discovery, SanskritFritz. :)

@xnview:
The funny thing is that I have not only shut down XnView for testing purposes but I have also restarted TC but still the setting was not remembered. Things like that really drive me mad...

The problem is that I usually just press a button to restart TC with a small restarter app that closes and recalls the TC instance. Unfortunately the separate XnView thread started by TC is not killed then.

During all the tests I haven't checked Process Explorer, too bad. ;)

Icfu
Hacker

Post by Hacker »

I confirm all of the above findings.

Roman
P.S.: Sorry again for the delay.
Hacker

Post by Hacker »

xnview wrote:
SanskritFritz wrote:
Same here.
If you use embedded thumbnail, i extract always thumbnail from jpeg file, and resize it to the wanted size. So here high quality is not used.
Why is high quality not used? In another thread (about embedded thumbs option and high quality option) you write you use high quality when resizing larger embedded thumbnails.

Roman
Hacker

Post by Hacker »

Also, XnView remains in memory after TC requests thumbnails from XnView. Who is responsible for closing XnView afterwards? XnView or TC?

Roman
Lesmo16

Post by Lesmo16 »

Hacker wrote:Also, XnView remains in memory after TC requests thumbnails from XnView. Who is responsible for closing XnView afterwards? XnView or TC?
Yes, this a very important question - and the last thing to be solved for TC integration.
Any clarification or at last a solution is highly appreciated.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Hacker wrote:Also, XnView remains in memory after TC requests thumbnails from XnView. Who is responsible for closing XnView afterwards? XnView or TC?
TC closes XnView
Pierre.
Lesmo16

Post by Lesmo16 »

xnview wrote:
TC closes XnView
Yes, you're right, it's TC's task - found the same with IrfanView. Of course I've deleted it after testing. :mrgreen:

So IMO this is fixed in RC7