0.93: Keyboard shortcut doesn't work if set to space, and space bar is ignored

Older bugs which are supposed to be fixed in 0.84. *** Please try to reproduce your bug and confirm the bug fix. ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

JMM72

0.93: Keyboard shortcut doesn't work if set to space, and space bar is ignored

Post by JMM72 »

XnView: MP 0.93 - 64 bit

First I should note that I've always used both space and left arrow to advance to next picture in view mode. Maybe it was how I set it up, but I think it was the default. And I found the following in the changelog pretty strange:
1507: [New] Space key for next picture

It even was the first entry of the changelog. So in 0.92 I could just hit space bar and go to the next image, or change to left/right arrow if I need to go back and forth quickly. Now space bar was simply ignored. I've tried setting the keyboard shortcut cmd_FileNext again (to space), but nothing.

The thing is that if I set the shortcut to something else other than space, let's say X, then both work, space and X keys both advance to next picture. But when the shortcut is set to space bar, it doesn't work. Then I tried setting any other shortcut to space; the effect is the same. When a shortcut is set to space, such shortcut stops working; when no shortcut is set to space, space advances to next image as expected.

Effect: When the keyboard shortcut cmd_FileNext (or any other) is set to space bar, it doesn't work; while space bar is recognized when it's not used in any shortcut.

To reproduce:
1. Go to Interface, shortcuts, view mode; set cmd_FileNext to Space.
2. Enter view mode, try using space to go to next picture, nothing happens.
3. Go to Interface, shortcuts, view mode; set cmd_FileNext to X.
4. Enter view mode, using both X and space go to next picture.

Actual behaviour (bug): Setting space in a shortcut disables space to advance to next image, and also disables that shortcut.

Expected behaviour: Setting space in a shortcut should work like with any other key.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: 0.93: Keyboard shortcut doesn't work if set to space, and space bar is ignored

Post by xnview »

Some keys can't be changed like del, F2, Space (SPACE is now always used for next file)
Pierre.
Sablesword

Re: 0.93: Keyboard shortcut doesn't work if set to space, and space bar is ignored

Post by Sablesword »

xnview wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:07 pm Some keys can't be changed like del, F2, Space (SPACE is now always used for next file)
Can you give us a list of these reserved keys?
If there aren't too many, it might be useful to list them in the settings/interface/shortcuts tab

For what it's worth, the customization I used in 0.92 and earlier was left/right arrow for previous/next file, and SPACE for toggling the Quick Slideshow. When SPACE stopped doing anything in 0.93, I came here to check the bug reports.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Sablesword wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:37 pm For what it's worth, the customization I used in 0.92 and earlier was left/right arrow for previous/next file, and SPACE for toggling the Quick Slideshow. When SPACE stopped doing anything in 0.93, I came here to check the bug reports.
So is it better if i add a setting like XnView Classic to customize SPACE key? (next file or quick slideshow)
Pierre.
Sablesword

Post by Sablesword »

xnview wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:00 pm So is it better if i add a setting like XnView Classic to customize SPACE key? (next file or quick slideshow)
That would be a good solution from my point of view.

What I found confusing is that the SPACE key got changed from a "customizable" key on 0.92 to a "reserved" key 0.93. At first I thought it was an unintended bug when my customization of the SPACE key stopped working, and I came here to report the bug. I found this thread and learned that it was an intended change. And yes, I should have noticed the "1507: [New] Space key for next picture" line in the changelog. :(

Was this a work-around to allow both the SPACE key and a customized key to be used for "next file"? Because there doesn't seem to be a way to configure more than one custom hotkey to perform a given action.
deus-ex

Post by deus-ex »

xnview wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:00 pmSo is it better if i add a setting like XnView Classic to customize SPACE key? (next file or quick slideshow)
Yes, I support that, too. It is better to have the freedom of choice, being able to assign any of the available commands to the SPACE key.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

See issue for current status and some details.
Pierre.
deus-ex

Post by deus-ex »

Thanks, Pierre.
Bisasam

Post by Bisasam »

Just found this...
It seems that by trying to make the Space key customisable, stuff broke, and now (in 0.93.1) the Space key simply doesn't do anything anymore, see my bug report:
viewtopic.php?t=38720

I would be fine if the Space key would always be set to next file, as I never used it for anything else. Using the arrow keys to switch to the next file (which still works in 0.93.1) is a major hassle and super inconvenient due to their awful placement... and besides, I would like to use the arrow keys for something else.

It would be great if you could fix this, so the Space key can be used again to switch to the next file.