XnView MP 0.90 Rotate Bug

Older bugs which are supposed to be fixed in 0.84. *** Please try to reproduce your bug and confirm the bug fix. ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

xnview
Author of XnView

Re: XnView MP 0.90 Rotate Bug

Post by xnview »

obelisk wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:23 am You use your camera take a jpg + RAW.
use LR to make RAW->jpg in the same folder
This file now looks rotated WRONGLY in XnView .

It looks CORRECT in all other viewers.
Send me sample files to reproduce?
Pierre.
obelisk

Post by obelisk »

Can I email you a private file to look at
obelisk

Post by obelisk »

I posted a few samples. I can see from photos even in 2006 /SOME/ have this problem in 0.90 and not versions before.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

I've tried your file, and is loaded in portrait mode, it's no that?
Pierre.
wspollack-2019

Post by wspollack-2019 »

I have been using XnView MP for a couple of years now, and this rotation problem happens to me quite often.

I take pictures with my iPhone 6 (or iPhone 4, before that), nothing unusual with the settings on the phone. The pictures are 3264 x 2448, typically c. 1.5MB - 2 MB.

I take most of the pics in landscape mode, but maybe 10% of the time I use portrait mode. And maybe half of those portrait-mode pics I change to landscape.

Most of the time when I do that, XnView MP will rotate the image, and when I move on to the next image, it will ask me to save and overwrite the portrait version, and I tell it do that. So all seems okay. But then when I move back to that changed image -- after looking at some more pics that I just uploaded -- it will be in the original portrait mode, as if I hadn't done anything to do. So I rotate and save it again. And maybe this time, it works.

And then -- sometimes -- when I close XnView MP and then run it again, that picture will be back in portrait mode. And I go through the process again.

I wish I could tell you what is different about these portrait pics, but there is nothing I can tell. I was thinking about sending you some, but when I go to verify that a pic won't STAY rotated, after a couple of tries to make sure that the pic really won't STAY that way ... it will, in fact, STAY that way.

I have found that rotating one of these to landscape mode and THEN cropping it, and then saving it, seems to work almost all of the time. But not quite all of the time.

This has been going on for the couple of years that I have been using XnView MP. Obviously, XnView MP is a very nice program, or I would have switched to another photo manager. But saving rotation has been a problem.

As I say, nothing strange. I don't manually alter the EXIF data or do anything technical like that. I get the pics from my phone to the Mac using PhotoSync (https://www.photosync-app.com/home.html), and the only thing I have that app do, as part of the movement, is rename the photo with the date-and-time.

I am conscientious about having the latest versions of XnView MP, the Mac O/S, and so forth.

Regards,

Bill
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

wspollack-2019 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:20 am I have been using XnView MP for a couple of years now, and this rotation problem happens to me quite often.

I take pictures with my iPhone 6 (or iPhone 4, before that), nothing unusual with the settings on the phone. The pictures are 3264 x 2448, typically c. 1.5MB - 2 MB.

I take most of the pics in landscape mode, but maybe 10% of the time I use portrait mode. And maybe half of those portrait-mode pics I change to landscape.
Could you send me a sample file and the way to reproduce this problem?
Pierre.
obelisk

Post by obelisk »

OK cannot understand still?
I wish it were easier to attach files.
Every single TIFF file shows sideways.
I'm going back to 0.8
gregs4163

Post by gregs4163 »

Occasionally, I'm seeing portrait thumbnails rotated to landscape but the preview view is showing them in the correct orientation using 0.93.1
obelisk

Post by obelisk »

Still any hope? Still using 0.8
You can take any dslr photo and test it
obelisk

Re: XnView MP 0.98.4 Rotate Bug

Post by obelisk »

XnView MP 0.98.4 still rotating photos wrongly.

TIF file generated by Lr. I think this part is key, xnview is OPEN to that folder

Thumb initially shows horiz. Exit folder and reenter it shows vert as correct.
Open img in viewer, shows horiz.

Now if you COPY this file to another folder, the same file, the Thumb shows vert as correct. Open img in viewer, shows vert as correct.

Binary identical files.
The difference is the existence of XMP generated by LR.

It's clear what you're doing, and the change from 0.87 should show this.
You are ROTATING a TIF file using XMP. But TIF is not a raw in this case, and isn't linked to XMP.
obelisk

Post by obelisk »

Nah, it even affects jpg. This is ridiculous, where would you ever use xmp on a jpg file? How can nobody have edited a file in LR in the past 2 years to see this issue?

If this is on purpose, let me know I'm happy to go back to 0.87 and never update again.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

please send me sample files and the way to reproduce?
Pierre.
obelisk

Post by obelisk »

As I said, you just need an xmp file
take a photo vertically
export in LR
it makes xmp sidecar
I can't post private info on public board.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

obelisk wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:15 pm As I said, you just need an xmp file
take a photo vertically
export in LR
it makes xmp sidecar
I can't post private info on public board.
send me them by PM
Pierre.
obelisk

Post by obelisk »

Sent you.
Also if you batch convert, the output will be UPSIDE DOWN!
I don't know how many times you're applying the rotate from the xmp file.