0.83: 'Delete all' cached directory not possible

Older bugs which are supposed to be fixed in 0.84. *** Please try to reproduce your bug and confirm the bug fix. ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

cadu

0.83: 'Delete all' cached directory not possible

Post by cadu »

Hi,

I'd appreciate help (XnView v0.83):

In Settings>Catalog, I had a lengthy list of cached directory. I pressed "delete all" and a large amount of the directories were deleted. However, a lot of directories kept populating the list.

As showed in this screencast (https://goo.gl/kHDGzl), I'm trying to to "delete all" the remained cached directory, but it is not being possible. Just by selecting one by one and performing "single delete" worked.

a) Why "delete all" cached directory worked to some directories, but not to others?

b) Considering the remained directories, would there be any way to force "delete all" to work, or the solution is indeed delete one by one?

Thanks for assistance,
Carlos
Erixx haxx

Re: 0.83: 'Delete all' cached directory not possible

Post by Erixx haxx »

Hello:
Seems maybe their is a wording issue here or This isn't working the way you think it is.

I tried this and my results are:

+20 Folders
-Press Delete All = Empty all Directories to 0 bytes
Next time I tried with 5 folders
-Press Delete All = Delete all Directories

-Press Delete + Select 1 Directory = Removes 1 directory from cache.
-Press Delete + Select All ( Via Ctr+A ) or ( Hold Shift ) = Removes All directories from cache.

I'm Not sure what to make of it either, but it should answer your 2nd question... (b)

PS. This is Bugs section. Help questions might be better under ( General support ) at least until you know you have a bug to report. This helps others trying to find answers too.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Erixx haxx wrote:PS. This is Bugs section. Help questions might be better under ( General support ) at least until you know you have a bug to report. This helps others trying to find answers too.
Thanks! The topic has been moved.
antineff

Post by antineff »

I too would say it's a bug. I notice the same behaviour of that dialog as described by cadu. Also version 0.83 x64 on Win7.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

and if select some cached folders, 'delete' works?
Pierre.
antineff

Post by antineff »

When I created a catalog from my complete My Pictures library and used "delete all" most of the masses of directories disappeared from the list but only that handful (a bit more than the window allows to show) stays and was not to delete in any way but one by one. But as soon as I reentered the dialog that named handful was present again. Just to be deleted one by one again. And then at the third attempt, I guess it was, the whole program crashed.
Erixx haxx

Post by Erixx haxx »

xnview wrote:and if select some cached folders, 'delete' works?
Right, The delete button seems to work correct.

It's the "Delete All" button that might have issues. See my post above.

Depending on how its suppose to work, When you have lots of folders in cache, (Say 30+) The folders are just set to 0 bytes, instead of removing the listings also.
Last edited by Erixx haxx on Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
antineff

Post by antineff »

It seems not really clear to me what exactly is stored in the XnView.db file when creating the catalog. I used this because I needed to collect all the IPTC keywords to be transformed into categories. Now when deleting with the "delete all " option indeed a lot of data is deleted from the DB but all the categories are still available and searchable and also jumping through the directories works fast, I only notice that the tumbnails need a moment to show up completely, but I thought that they are stored in the Thumb.de file. Hence, reading directories for creating a catalog and for configuration of the program seems to be a one way road.

Agreeing with Erixx haxx the size indicators for the entries left in the list are all gone to zero. Fortunately the named directories are still filled with picture files! I would not think that this is designed as a feature. It feels quite strange, and also: The programm crashed reproducible when making some tries with that issue!
helmut

Post by helmut »

This problem is supposed to be fixed in XnView MP 0.84 beta 1. Could you please try and confirm the bug fix?