0.98.0 and above: still problems with margins in printing dialog

*** Please report new bugs here! ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

Margeb

0.98.0 and above: still problems with margins in printing dialog

Post by Margeb »

Hi there,

when I open the printing dialog there are always margins, allthough no margins are set by default:

MP1.png

Now when I set the left margin to 2 the upper margin nearly disappears:

MP3.png

Changing the value for left margin back to 0 does also not remove the left margin completely:

MP4.png

I did not have this problem with XnView Classic:

MP5.png

Regards

Markus
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: 0.98.0 and above: still problems with margins in printing dialog

Post by xnview »

yes known issue
Pierre.
Margeb

Post by Margeb »

One more year...

Happy Birthday, dear issue!
B.Douille

Post by B.Douille »

I confirm there is something unexpected. It's more an unusual behavioral than a bug.
I think there is a conflict with the sub-menu "Page setup" / "Mise en Page" / "Seite einrichten" that defines the margins and highly depends on the current printer selected and printer preferences. The page setup is a system one and has high priority to the margins set in the Print dialog.

In order to reduce the actual margins to 0 the printer should be able to accept this by default or via the proper system settings. This can be reproduced by selecting another printer (PDF virtual printers usually accept no margins), press Apply and Cancel. Then, get back to the print dialog, the margins can be easily set to zero and it's effective.

May I suggest to remove the margin selectors in the print dialog so only the Page Setup is used ?
The Page Setup may also be replaced by the system/printer driver setting dialog that allows to define more precisely the printer features
Daniel, promoting XnView since 2004, moved to MP (exclusively) years ago (Platform Windows and Linux Ubuntu)
Margeb

Post by Margeb »

Hi Daniel,

yes, most or many printers don't accept no margins. The problem is that when margins are set to 0 XnView does not set it to the minimal possible value. Instead of that I have to make these funny actions I described.

Your suggestion to remove the margin selector and using the page setup could be helpful.

Markus
B.Douille

Post by B.Douille »

Thanks for your support Markus. Elaborating my thoughts...
What's missing is a mean to change the target printer in the print dialog already, not at the time of printing which is too late. This feature is closer to what's available in Classic but would be helpful, avoiding conflicting setup.

The workflow I described to change the target printer, get the right parameters, capabilities (paper size, margins,...) of the target printer and back to the print dialog is far too complicated. Best to get inspired with what worked well in Classic
Daniel, promoting XnView since 2004, moved to MP (exclusively) years ago (Platform Windows and Linux Ubuntu)