companion files not working properly with categories, lables and ratings

*** Please report new bugs here! ***

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

osenboz

companion files not working properly with categories, lables and ratings

Post by osenboz »

Hello,
i started working with xnViewMP and so far i'm very satisfied with it's functionality... especially the possibility
of customized handling of companion files is one of the major features that led me into using xnViewMP

however, while digging into the possibilities, i've noticed the following rather inconvenient behaviour:

let's say I have an {rw2} file together with the companion files {jpg} and {xmp}
and the options "companion files liked for delete action" as well as
"companion files linked for copy/move/rename" action are enabled.
furthermore i've chosen NOT to show the companion files in the browser, and
all labels/ratings/categories are written to the corresponding {xmp}-file.

now there are several issues concerning the handling of ratings, labels and categories in xnViewMP:
  • in case a label/rating/category is assigned to the {rw2} file, the label/rating/category
    is NOT immediately applied to the accompanying {jpg} file (one first needs to call
    "update catalog from files" to have the label/rating/category assigned to the {jpg} as well.
    • SUGGESTION: what about an option "companion files linked for label/rating/category assignment" ?
      or "automatically update companion-files in catalog?"
  • in case images are selected based on filters (with respect to the labels/ratings/categories,
    any action will only be applied to the files that are within the filtered list... this means:
    • in case you did not call "update catalog from files", a delete/move/rename/copy action
      will exclusively affect the {rw2}-file
    • the {xmp}-file will NEVER be part of delete/move/rename/copy action regardless of whether the
      catalog has been updated or not since currently it never gets the rating/label/category assigned to itself
    • SUGGESTION: change the behaviour such that linked files remain linked under all circuumstances
  • ... and finally as a feature request: currently the only option to view the companion files is to
    go to the settings and check "show companion-files"
    • SUGGESTION: how about adding an option in the right-click context-menu like:
      "open/view companion-file > [get a list of companion files to choose from]"
      or add an icon in the toolbar that allows toggling the setting?
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: companion files not working properly with categories, lables and ratings

Post by xnview »

always a problem?
Pierre.