How to use Tools>Find Similar Files

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

brucet99

How to use Tools>Find Similar Files

Post by brucet99 »

Search could not find any posts with "Find Similar Files". Instead, it returned every post that contained any one of those three words. Not useful search at all.

This is clearly a powerful tool to find duplicates or related images in a folder, but I am confused as to how to use it.

I have discovered that I can see some similar images and can delete one or more of them if I choose to, but cannot find anything else useful.

Having found two similar images, how am I supposed to see them at full size to compare which is the better resolution? There seems to be no way to open even one of them, much less both.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: How to use Tools>Find Similar Files

Post by xnview »

with 'Find similar' you would like to compare images in fullscreen?
Pierre.
brucet99

Re: How to use Tools>Find Similar Files

Post by brucet99 »

If I have two similar scanned diapositives (slides), likely one of them will be at better resolution or the original sharper, etc.

In Find Similar, I can zoom in on two images, among possibly several, to get some idea, but it would be useful to be able to see all of them as full screen images and toggle among them to compare quality before choosing which one(s) to keep.

Maybe this is too difficult to achieve, but it would be nice. At present, the only way I can figure to do so is to write down file names and then search in "Finder" and rename them so they present adjacent in normal viewing.