XnView MP Option - Fit image to desktop, large only

Bugs which are supposed to be fixed in the next test version (not available yet)

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview, Dreamer

jsin

XnView MP Option - Fit image to desktop, large only

Post by jsin »

Hello,
I have been using Classic for a long time now. The only reason I do not use MP is because it does not scale the window to each image as Classic does. There is no option for Fit image to desktop, large only as there is in Classic. I have tried MP several times to see if this has been added yet and after searching the forum I see that this has been requested since before 2009!
Are there any plans to add this feature? I have both donated and purchased a license to help support the worlds best image viewer, is this perhaps a feature that I could pay for?

I also noticed that in MP when trying to fit the image to the window when I proceed to the next image it retains the position of the last image viewed. If I have a large image and drag it to the bottom then go to the next image that image will not begin at the top of the image but the same position the last image was at. In this case, the bottom.

Thank you for a great product and look forward to hearing from you!
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: XnView MP Option - Fit image to desktop, large only

Post by xnview »

I'll try to add this feature in a future version...
Pierre.
jsin

Post by jsin »

Thank you so much my friend. I truly love XnView. It is a minimal or as powerful as a user needs it to be all while being quick and beautiful.

Thank you again!
Davy Crockett

Post by Davy Crockett »

Had to make an account just to agree with this. I'm getting screen tearing when viewing large gifs in classic. I don't get it in MP, but unfortunately MP is just not viable for me because I absolutely need the "fit image to desktop, all" option.
jsin

Post by jsin »

Hello. I just installed the latest version of XnViewMP v1.0 to see what has been changed / updated. I noticed that there is no option to properly resize images like in XnView Classic. I have tried every option available but nothing comes close.

One of the great things about Classic is that I could choose the view option? Fit image to desktop, large only and it would not only resize the window according to the image width but also resize the window to the dimensions of the next image you scroll to.
I have the option "Reset "Auto Image size' setting with next/previous file" selected but this doesn't seem to do anything.
It still also has (what I think is a bug) the problem of keeping the scrolled position of the image and applying it to the next image.
In other words, if I grab and drag an image to view the bottom it, I see the bottom of the next image I scroll to. Classic didn't have this problem, once you scroll to the next image it resets the window size and scroll position to the top of the image.

I would love this to be incorporated into XnViewMP that I would pay for this feature!

Thank you for the greatest image viewer / manipulation tool ever created!
jsin

Post by jsin »

xnview wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:45 am I'll try to add this feature in a future version...
Hello. I was wondering if there were any future plans to add this feature into an upcoming version. I love the features of MP but need to be able to resize images and have the options like Classic has.
Thank you.
NotFinal

Post by NotFinal »

Any word on this? Though it may seems small, it's absolutely one of the top features of features for me personally. Actually one of the reasons I originally went out to look for a new viewer instead of what Windows came with.
syspsi

Post by syspsi »

Any news about this feature?. Sometimes install "MP" versión looking this feature and I always end up going back to XNVIEW Classsic.
:(
dann.subs

Post by dann.subs »

I had to create an account just to post this.

I have been using XnView Classic for years.

Today, I received a pop-up message informing me that a new version of the MP version was available in case I wanted to test it, I clicked to do so. However, before trying the new version, I wanted to finish what I was doing on XnView. To my surprise, I noticed that my configuration was reset. Fortunately, I had a backup of the "xnview.ini" file, so I was able to rollback to my configuration.

Later, when I tried the MP version, the first thing I checked was if this feature (Fit image to desktop, large only) was implemented, but it wasn't. As a result, I closed and deleted the MP version.

I will continue using the Classic version until AT LEAST this feature is implemented or I am force to change to another piece of software.
syspsi

Post by syspsi »

xnview wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:45 am I'll try to add this feature in a future version...
Hi Pierre! Sadly v1.5.0 does not include this option. Any news about it?
Thank you in advance.

Syspsi
jsin

Post by jsin »

Hello,
I was wondering if this option has been added to XnView MP yet? This image view feature is the only reason I haven't switched from classic and downloading MP periodically and installing, configuring and testing is cumbersome when just checking if this view feature has been added.

Thank you.
NotFinal

Post by NotFinal »

syspsi wrote: Tue Jul 11, 2023 6:38 am
Hi Pierre! Sadly v1.5.0 does not include this option. Any news about it?
Thank you in advance.

Syspsi
Sadly you were reply to a 2year old post brother, so yea, that's tells you everything
jsin

Post by jsin »

I really hope this view option makes it into MP. This is the only thing keeping me from switching.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

jsin wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 6:24 pm I really hope this view option makes it into MP. This is the only thing keeping me from switching.
Do you have tried the 'Fit image to window' which has almost same behavior?
Pierre.
jsin

Post by jsin »

Hello,
Thank you for your reply.
Yes, I have tried that setting. I have tried all of them and unfortunately none of them replicate what XnViewClassic does. MP also keeps the same window size when scrolling through images in the directory where as Classic always resizes itself to match the image and always scales down the image if it is too large.

I just hope this feature is added to MP. I like the design and icons of MP but I also noticed that the dark theme is missing now?

Thank you.
Jsin