Google Pixel .MP.jpg files and how to view /extract them

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

godzfire

Google Pixel .MP.jpg files and how to view /extract them

Post by godzfire »

I am trying to figure out this new 'image' format Google is forcing on us with my Pixel 4a and the Camera app: .MP.jpg. From what I've read, it's a jpg and mini video together.

That's great and all, but I never asked it to do that. There's no setting on Camera 7.5 to turn it off. It uses up 3 times as much space, and there doesn't seem to be any easy way to view/convert the video portion.

The best I could find is apparently IRFANVIEW does it, but it's a Windows only program, I use a Mac. I saw that XnView also apparently has this capability, but I have no idea how to do that.

Could someone be nice enough, and help this dumb person figure this out? It would be appreciated.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Re: Google Pixel .MP.jpg files and how to view /extract them

Post by XnTriq »

You can use ToolsMetadataClean to remove All other 'App' markers.

An alternative method would be the ToolsExtract JPEG… command of JPEGsnoop.
godzfire

Post by godzfire »

Does that cause the JPG to get re-saved into a lower quality lossy file?
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

It's a lossless process in both XnView and JPEGsnoop. In my tests, the output of both applications was identical.
The file isn't re-encoded. JPEG comments, ICC profiles, EXIF/IPTC/XMP and GPS as well as other APP markers metadata are preserved (confirmed using Stuffware Photo Studio).
godzfire

Post by godzfire »

Thanks for the info, removing that useless clutter then.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

godzfire wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:52 pmThanks for the info, removing that useless clutter then.
Thank you for bringing this to my attention, godzfire. And welcome to the forum, BTW (-:

Links for future reference:
godzfire

Post by godzfire »

The idea itself is excellent, the problem is it's implementation and limitations. Yes, it's a small microvideo of the time immediately before and after the actual shot, but if you actually look at the motion shots, their quality is nowhere near as good or as sharp as the actual photo, making the feature kinda useless.
Sobricket

Post by Sobricket »

I want to remove the MP component from a batch of Google Pixel4 photos saved as "MP.JPG", and preserve the original JPG component untouched; and preserve EXIF data and location tags.

In XnView the "Tools - Metadata" selection mentioned above is no longer there. Under "Batch Convert" there is a checkbox to "Preserve Metadata" so I assume if I disable that, it will drop the MP component as desired.

However, I also want the JPG to be losslessly preserved and there is no assurance in that window that this will happen. In fact in "Settings" there is a "Quality" bar that defaults to "80".

I also need to preserve the EXIF and location tags, which this deletes.

So - as a request / suggestion, add a feature to drop only the MP component, while keeping all other metadata and with the JPG explicitly unchanged.

Thanks for the app and any support on this btw. Just found it via a Google search on this MP topic.

[Follow-up: I see now that JPEGsnoop which you had also mentioned does do what I want. However, it is dropping off the web so I couldn't find it at first. It's still available on FileHippo for those interested; probably the final version 1.8.0].