Inputting Metadata

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

HerrBill

Inputting Metadata

Post by HerrBill »

I’m about to embark on adding keywords to my images and would welcome, in advance, any tips and advice on how to proceed. For example, which edit option should I use; IPTC or XMP?
Suggestions on appropriate tutorials and U-tube videos would also be appreciated.
Bill
michel038
XnThusiast

Re: Inputting Metadata

Post by michel038 »

Hello,
I suggest using both iptc and xmp embedded keywords, if you want to tag jpgs only.
For other formats (tiff, raw, ...) you cannot use embedded metadata, but only xmp sidecar files.
A convenient method is to use the tool named "categories" in Xnviewmp.
In settings metadata, check "export" and iptc and xmp (and perhaps sidecar).

Select some photos, check a category, release selected photos : corresponding keywords are now added as metadata. ...
(select one of them and read iptc, xmp, ExifTool tabs in Info pane to see if the right metadata have been written.)

Remember, always 3 steps : select photos, work with categories, unselect photos
BuckSkin

Re: Inputting Metadata

Post by BuckSkin »

HerrBill wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:24 am I’m about to embark on adding keywords to my images and would welcome, in advance, any tips and advice on how to proceed. For example, which edit option should I use; IPTC or XMP?
Suggestions on appropriate tutorials and U-tube videos would also be appreciated.
Bill
There are many answers to your question, depending on how precise you want your keywords.

If you want a keyword "tree" , with parent tags and many layers of subtags, then I highly suggest you avail yourself of a free copy of digiKam as it has the best keyword tagging ability bar none.

Properly written keywords will automatically display in both IPTC and XMP (and Windows "Properties") without you having to mess with either.

If you do not use a proper keyword "tree", then you will soon be overwhelmed with a million keywords that can be just as disorganized as photos without them.