Unable to convert .cpt files

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Unable to convert .cpt files

Post by XnTriq »

Ghost_Rider wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:06 pmThe images I am trying to convert are .cpt files that were saved in years past when I was still using windows and corel photo paint for scanning. In the past several years I have found no way to open them and save them in a more universal format so that is why I am trying xnview.

After getting xnview to load today I tried opening one of the .cpt images and xnview launched gimp to open the file. Gimp cannot open the .cpt files, as I had previously discovered, which is one factor that finally led me to xnview which supposedly can open the .cpt files.

What am I doing wrong here?
XnView's (and XnConvert's) support for CPT is limited to older versions of Corel's proprietary file format.
If Xnview encounters a CPT file written with a more recent version of Photo-Paint, the embedded preview thumbnail will be extracted.
Ghost_Rider

Re: Unable to convert .cpt files

Post by Ghost_Rider »

Please explain "older versions"
These files were created by scanning in 1999, so they are currently 22 years old and in my mind that qualifies as "older".

I have attached 2 of the files I am working with.

I did find that corel has a 15 day free trial on their current version of Corel Photo Paint so will try that and save them as JPGs or BMPs if it works.
Attachments
cptfiles.tgz
(400 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Ghost_Rider wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:46 pmPlease explain "older versions"
These files were created by scanning in 1999, so they are currently 22 years old and in my mind that qualifies as "older".

I have attached 2 of the files I am working with.
XnView can read CPT up to and including v6.0. Opening one of the sample files you attached in Notepad reveals that we're dealing with a “CPT7FILE”.
Ghost_Rider wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:46 pmI did find that corel has a 15 day free trial on their current version of Corel Photo Paint so will try that and save them as JPGs or BMPs if it works.
There used to be a Linux version of Photo-Paint, but according to Softpedia, it's “no longer supported on modern Linux distributions”.

• YouTube: Converting CPT files (Corel Photo-Paint) using Chasys Draw IES Converter
    “Chasys Draw IES supports all versions of Corel Photo-Paint's CPT file format (CPT7/CPT8/CPT9), including files generated by the latest version (Corel Photo-Paint 2018). This video shows Chasys Draw IES Converter being used to convert a folder of CPT files into PSD files (Adobe Photoshop) and XCF files (GIMP). The converted files retain the structures of the originals, including layers (objects), blend modes, layer names, opacity, etc.”
Ghost_Rider

Post by Ghost_Rider »

Thank you for the info on Chasys Draw IES. I installed it on my laptop (Win10) and was able to convert all the .cpt files to jpg in a few minutes. I had not seen any references to that with my earlier searches but it works well and certainly did not lose quality of the images.

Now with XnView MP and Chasys Draw IES it will be easy to manage all my image files.

The Linux Corel Photopaint went away the same as their wordperfect for linux since they used wine instead of actually porting it to linux.

Thanks again.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Thank you for reporting back and confirming, Ghost_Rider (-:
I'm sure this will be helpful to other users facing the same issue!