Stuck in View mode

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

HerrBill

Stuck in View mode

Post by HerrBill »

I'm new to XnView MP and have been familiarizing myself with the programme.
I'm stuck in view mode and want to get back to browse mode in order to display thumbnails.
Can anybody help me please.
cday
XnThusiast

Re: Stuck in View mode

Post by cday »

HerrBill wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:30 pm I'm new to XnView MP and have been familiarizing myself with the programme.
Please post XnView MP questions in the most relevant XnView MP section of the forum!

I'm stuck in view mode and want to get back to browse mode in order to display thumbnails.
Screenshot from 2021-09-02 19-11-30.png
Screenshot from 2021-09-02 19-11-30.png (18.17 KiB) Viewed 636 times

If you see something like the above screenshot, you should be able to enter the browser by clicking on the folder tree icon at the far left of the toolbar, or if it is displayed on your display the browser tab above it. :D

Otherwise, please post a screenshot of what you are seeing preferably as a PNG (or JPEG) file.
HerrBill

Post by HerrBill »

I understand that the attached screenshot is in browser mode but it does not show the browse icon on top. When I open a folder from this mode and click on an image, it opens in view mode where editing is carried out. But what I’m failing to achieve, is to open a folder of images as thumbnails in browser mode which I can then tag and categorize and saved the images to a new folder.

My aim with XnView is to manage and categorize my images. In familiarizing myself earlier this afternoon with XnView I must have somehow gone astray and now I am unable to restore the programme to the original browser view when I first opened it.
I hope you understand my predicament and can put me on the right track.
Bill
Attachments
Browser view Jpeg.jpg
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

I can't help with the browser, I'm afraid, as I hardly use it and it is highly configurable.

If you haven't already done so, you could try exploring the menu options and the tabs on the left. Or possibly try deleting your .ini file, you can find its location and delete it from Tools > Settings... > Integration --Paths, and when you run the program a new one will be created which might possibly restore the default browser settings.

It would also help if you could figure out how to save screenshots as PNG files, rather them paste them into another program and attach an image with a border.

A Browser expert?
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

HerrBill wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:24 pmI understand that the attached screenshot is in browser mode but it does not show the browse icon on top. When I open a folder from this mode and click on an image, it opens in view mode where editing is carried out. But what I’m failing to achieve, is to open a folder of images as thumbnails in browser mode which I can then tag and categorize and saved the images to a new folder.
In the top left corner of your screenshot, there's a Folders tab. This takes you to the thumbnail pane.
HerrBill

Post by HerrBill »

Sorry, but I must be blind I don't see an active folder tab in the top left corner. I see a folder displayed called 2021 images.
Above this panel are options (Tabs) which are greyed out and on top is the Menu bar.
Any chance you could indicate on the screenshot I sent you by means of an arrow where this Tab is located, so I can recognize it better.
I'm sorry for giving you all this trouble but I appreciate the assistance you are giving me.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

If you double-click on the 2021 Images folder in your low resolution screenshot, does that achieve what you want?
HerrBill

Post by HerrBill »

Unfortunately, no.
FYI, Last night I uninstalled XnView, cleared out the XnView folder in my programs file, reinstalled the program but to no avail.
I wonder whether there is an option 'reset to default' available which could solve my problem.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

HerrBill wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:00 pm Unfortunately, no.
FYI, Last night I uninstalled XnView, cleared out the XnView folder in my programs file, reinstalled the program but to no avail.
I wonder whether there is an option 'reset to default' available which could solve my problem.
My suggestion above about deleting the existing .ini file might do that, a new file with hopefully default settings should be created when you run the program again.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

HerrBill wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:31 pmAny chance you could indicate on the screenshot I sent you by means of an arrow where this Tab is located, so I can recognize it better.
It's a vertical tab labelled “Folders”:

p171758.png
HerrBill

Post by HerrBill »

I thought I sent you a reply but I don't see it. So I repeat it.
I deleted the .ini file as you suggested and that did the trick.
I'm back in business and thanks a million for you assistance.
Bill
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

HerrBill wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:53 pm I deleted the .ini file as you suggested and that did the trick.
I'm back in business and thanks a million for your assistance.
If all else fails follow my advice! :D