Unable to access Preferences

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

HerrBill

Unable to access Preferences

Post by HerrBill »

I'm new to XnView and I want to add 'AP file format' to enable me to view Affinity Phot images in XnView viewer.
When I go to edit and select preferences nothing happens, in fact it is greyed out. Also, a number of symbols underneath the menu bar are also greyed.
This leads me to believe that my download of XnView is not fully activated.
Any suggestion as how I can overcome this road block.
All comments welcome.
Bill

My operating system is windows 10 and my version is XnView MP.
Last edited by HerrBill on Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
cday
XnThusiast

Re: Unable to access Preferences

Post by cday »

HerrBill wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:05 am I'm new to XnView and I want to add 'AP file format' to enable me to view Affinity Photo images in XnView viewer.
When I go to edit and select preferences nothing happens, in fact it is greyed out. Also, a number of symbols underneath the menu bar are also greyed.
This leads me to believe that my download of XnView is not fully activated.
Any suggestion as how I can overcome this road block.
Which operating system and which XnView MP download?

And maybe a screenshot, from there I'll leave you to someone more able to help... :wink:
HerrBill

Post by HerrBill »

My operating system is windows 10 and the version I'm using is XnView MP.
Unable to attach my screenshot which has been saved on a word document but XnView sees '.doc 'as an invalid extension.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

HerrBill wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:53 am My operating system is windows 10 and the version I'm using is XnView MP.
Unable to attach my screenshot which has been saved on a word document but XnView sees '.doc 'as an invalid extension.
You have installed the Windows x64 SETUP version, or are using the Windows x64 ZIP version?

A screenshot as a PNG (or second choice JPEG) is normally best, you should be able to produce one in Windows 10 without using XnView MP, but as I use Linux in preference to Windows 10 whenever possible I can't give detailed instructions.

Otherwise, it should be possible to attach more or less any file format including a .doc file if you place the file in a ZIP, current forum attachment size limit 2MiB.
HerrBill

Post by HerrBill »

I finally succeeded in attaching my screenshot, this time on your advise, saved it as a pdf file. thanks.
To the best of my knowledge I downloaded the XnView-win-x64 version Not the zip version
Attachments
XNView Screenshot.pdf
(310.37 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

HerrBill wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:05 am I'm new to XnView and I want to add 'AP file format' to enable me to view Affinity Phot images in XnView viewer.

My operating system is windows 10 and my version is XnView MP.
Looking at the screenshot you attached I don't see an Edit > Preferences... option??

Note: Looking at the Browser Edit menu options that are displayed, you could import a screenshot from the clipboard into XnView MP, and then save the that as a PNG (or JPEG) which would display as an image in your post.
HerrBill

Post by HerrBill »

I am now attaching a jpeg version of my screen shot. When you view it, you will show the download menu for 'EDIT ' and at the bottom you will find the option ' Preferences'. When I click on this option nothing happens.

[Incorrect attachment deleted].
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

Did you attach the intended image? :wink:

Anyway, are you actually referring to Edit > Properties... at the bottom of the list?
HerrBill

Post by HerrBill »

Here is the correct image, sorry about the attachment.
Attachments
XNView Screenshot jpeg.jpg
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

XNView Screenshot_Extracted.png

I have extracted your screenshot from your PDF file so that it is easier to view. :D

Are you actually referring to Edit > Properties... at the bottom of the list?

That isn't greyed out in your screenshot, but I see no Preferences option?

I don't use the browser much and don't understand your problem, maybe someone else can understand better?
HerrBill

Post by HerrBill »

You are right, I was in the wrong area. I had another look around and succeeded in switching on Affinity Photo formats.
I went as follows:
>Settings>General and ticked the box for 'Show all graphic formats'
At this stage, I can only open one image at a time but its a start.

Do you know whether there is a user manual available? Or a good instructional U-tube video you can point me to?
Finally thanks for your patience towards me and your assistance.
Bill
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

HerrBill wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:48 pm Do you know whether there is a user manual available? Or a good instructional U-tube video you can point me to?
There's a wiki somewhere but it is limited and probably out of date in some areas, and one or two other user-contributed guides, but I don't immediately have links I'm afraid. Also some excellent guides to certain browser functions if you can read French.

The reality for a developer is that testing is rather boring, and providing documentation is time consuming and even more boring, so ultimately for free software one should simply be glad that it is offered! Similarly, very few users provide any support, or with a few notable exceptions prepare documentation.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

Welcome to the forum, Bill.
cday wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:03 pm
HerrBill wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:48 pmDo you know whether there is a user manual available? Or a good instructional U-tube video you can point me to?
There's a wiki somewhere but it is limited and probably out of date in some areas, and one or two other user-contributed guides, but I don't immediately have links I'm afraid. Also some excellent guides to certain browser functions if you can read French.
XnView Wiki: XnView (MP) User Guide
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

Thanks XnTriq I have added the link to my collection.

But is it up to date on michel038's French language tutorials? I think there may be an additional one or maybe two in his signature?
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

cday wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:49 amBut is it up to date on michel038's French language tutorials? I think there may be an additional one or maybe two in his signature?
The link on the wiki points to his forum topic where he keeps/kept users updated regarding his XnView tutorials:
He's also posting in the "Tutoriels" sticky.