Unable to start XnView_MP

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Ghost_Rider

Unable to start XnView_MP

Post by Ghost_Rider »

I just downloaded XnView_MP 0.98.4 to convert a lot of .cpt (corell photo paint) file to a more universal format but cannot get it to start.

I downloaded both the appimage and the .tgz files and both fail.
When trying to start the appimage I get the following error.

Code: Select all

$ ./XnView_MP.glibc2.18-x86_64.AppImage 
/tmp/.mount_XnViewOmnWLj/usr/XnView/XnView: symbol lookup error: /lib64/libkrb5.so.3: undefined symbol: krb5int_push_fscreatecon_for, version krb5support_0_MIT
When trying to start XnView from the .tgz package I get

$ ./xnview.sh
/home/myuser/Downloads/appimage/xnview/XnView/XnView: symbol lookup error: /lib64/libk5crypto.so.3: undefined symbol: EVP_KDF_ctrl, version OPENSSL_1_1_1b
I am running Fedora 34 and do have /lib64/libkrb5.so.3 (apparently the wrong version) for the appimage but do not have libk5crypto.so.3.
I would have expected the appimage to contain all the needed libraries, and note that the tgz file installs a lib directory but it does not have the needed files either. The error with the appimage seems a bug in packaging, and I find nothing telling me what dependencies may be needed.

I have krb5 libs version 1.19.2 installed (both 32 & 64 bit), but cannot find what provides the libk5crypto.so.3 file from the fedora repositories.

Any suggestions or solutions will be appreciated.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Unable to start XnView_MP

Post by xnview »

do you have tried to install libk5crypto ?
Pierre.
Ghost_Rider

Post by Ghost_Rider »

The file is there, fedora provides it from what may be a different package name. Digging further I found its source, and the error seems to be something missing in the version I have installed, not that it is missing. I am not even certain that it is libk5crypto that is the error since it points to openssl version 1.1.1b when I have version 1.1.1k installed.

# dnf provides libk5crypto.so.3
Last metadata expiration check: 2:05:24 ago on Tue 31 Aug 2021 09:22:05 AM CDT.
krb5-libs-1.19.1-3.fc34.i686 : The non-admin shared libraries used by Kerberos 5
Repo        : fedora
Matched from:
Provide    : libk5crypto.so.3

krb5-libs-1.19.2-2.fc34.i686 : The non-admin shared libraries used by Kerberos 5
Repo        : updates
Matched from:
Provide    : libk5crypto.so.3

[root@eagle xnview]# dnf list installed krb5-libs
Installed Packages
krb5-libs.x86_64                                               1.19.2-2.fc34                                                @updates

[root@eagle xnview]# ls -l /lib64/libk5crypto* 
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root    18 Aug 19 11:39 /lib64/libk5crypto.so -> libk5crypto.so.3.1
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root    18 Aug 19 11:39 /lib64/libk5crypto.so.3 -> libk5crypto.so.3.1
-rwxr-xr-x. 1 root root 95088 Aug 19 11:39 /lib64/libk5crypto.so.3.1
[root@eagle xnview]# ls -l  /usr/lib64/libk5crypto*
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root    18 Aug 19 11:39 /usr/lib64/libk5crypto.so -> libk5crypto.so.3.1
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root    18 Aug 19 11:39 /usr/lib64/libk5crypto.so.3 -> libk5crypto.so.3.1
-rwxr-xr-x. 1 root root 95088 Aug 19 11:39 /usr/lib64/libk5crypto.so.3.1
[root@eagle xnview]# ls -ld /lib64
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 9 Jan 26  2021 /lib64 -> usr/lib64
Note that /lib64 is a symlink to /usr/lib64
Ghost_Rider

Post by Ghost_Rider »

Doing more research on openssl it may be that xnview is linked explicitly to the openssl version 1.1.1b library when mine does not match that version. I have not done programming for a long time, but the searches hint that it may be linked to a specific version.

Otherwise it may be that the particular function you call has disappeared from the newer versions. Although, when looking at /usr/include/openssl/kdf.h on my system I see the definition for the item that is flagged as undefined in the error.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

i've found a workaround, in XnView's folder
rm lib/libcrypto.so*
ln -s /lib64/libbz2.so.1 lib/libbz2.so.1.0
Pierre.
Ghost_Rider

Post by Ghost_Rider »

Thank you for that Pierre

xnview now starts so that fix seems good.

I encountered another error in using it.
The images I am trying to convert are .cpt files that were saved in years past when I was still using windows and corel photo paint for scanning. In the past several years I have found no way to open them and save them in a more universal format so that is why I am trying xnview.

After getting xnview to load today I tried opening one of the .cpt images and xnview launched gimp to open the file. Gimp cannot open the .cpt files, as I had previously discovered, which is one factor that finally led me to xnview which supposedly can open the .cpt files.

What am I doing wrong here?

<!--// Moderator's note: Please refer to new topic “Unable to convert .cpt files” //-->