What computer specs for batch processing?

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Chuclkles

What computer specs for batch processing?

Post by Chuclkles »

I use Xnview batch processing for thousands of picutres. I have been using the multiple core option but sometimes the process is still very long....up to 2/3 hours for 3000 photos. I am considering getting a dedicated computer for this process. What specs / processor would you suggest I get??

Any suggestions are highly appreciated!!

Ciao
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: What computer specs for batch processing?

Post by xnview »

big photos? lot of actions? formats?
Pierre.
Chuclkles

Post by Chuclkles »

The photos are all jpegs of 7-10 MB. These are the actions I do:

Enhance detail
Colors
HLS
Resize
Adjust
PPTC-IMM / XMP
Sharpen
Clean Metadata

Any suggestions are WELCOME!
Rick

Post by Rick »

Before you buy another computer, why not download XnConvert? It is a stand alone version of the batch converter
Then ditch the multi processor setting and use task manager / DETAILS to set the setting to below normal. You can play with the AFFINITY also to limit it to the top 2-3 cores. Why all this slowdown? So it will keep running without slowing your computer down
It's worth a try I would think
--
Rick
Chuclkles

Post by Chuclkles »

I have done a quick test and it might be a bit faster.

I do not understand what you mean by this:
task manager / DETAILS to set the setting to below normal. You can play with the AFFINITY also to limit it to the top 2-3 cores.
I cannot find these settings...

Thanks again!!!
Rick

Post by Rick »

Open task manager. via search or CONTROL/ALT/DELETE
You will see a details tab on the top. Find the prog you want to change and right click it. Here are 2 graphics. If you need more, don't hesitate to ask :D
1.jpg
2.jpg
--
Rick
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

Doesn't the optimum setting to use in Task Manager depend on what else you may wish to do while Batch convert is running, and their relative priorities?

In Chuclkles previous thread Tips for faster batch image processing I thought that he had confirmed that selecting the option in the application to use all available cores greatly reduced batch processing time, and that his other computer use wasn't noticeably affected?
Rick

Post by Rick »

cday wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:20 pm Doesn't the optimum setting to use in Task Manager depend on what else you may wish to do while Batch convert is running, and their relative priorities?

In Chuclkles previous thread Tips for faster batch image processing I thought that he had confirmed that selecting the option in the application to use all available cores greatly reduced batch processing time, and that his other computer use wasn't noticeably affected?
That is true, but you may have trouble doing anything else on that machine. My scenario lets you keep doing computer things while batch processing chugs on in the background
--
Rick
Chuclkles

Post by Chuclkles »

Rick wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:02 pm Open task manager. via search or CONTROL/ALT/DELETE
You will see a details tab on the top. Find the prog you want to change and right click it. Here are 2 graphics. If you need more, don't hesitate to ask :D
1.jpg
2.jpg
I am using a Mac....not sure we have these settings.
Rick

Post by Rick »

Chuclkles wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:44 pm I am using a Mac....not sure we have these settings.
You do in there somewhere. I just assumed Windows ... sorry. Perhaps a mac user can chime in
--
Rick