Using Zip version install on external drive.

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

OldPilot

Using Zip version install on external drive.

Post by OldPilot »

I am investigating using the folder version of XnView on an external harddrive with a large family photo archive. I am concerned about how to work with settings. I want to give the external drives to family members, and I want them to be able to view the photos and metadata as I do. For instance, I would like the Browser/Thumbnail view to be same as I have. I do not expect the recipients of the drive with XnView installed to be readily able to go to settings and set program up. Also, what about the Catalog? Can it be included on the external drive and subsequently referenced by XnView?
cday
XnThusiast

Re: Using Zip version install on external drive.

Post by cday »

OldPilot wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:25 pm I am investigating using the folder version of XnView on an external harddrive with a large family photo archive. I am concerned about how to work with settings. I want to give the external drives to family members, and I want them to be able to view the photos and metadata as I do. For instance, I would like the Browser/Thumbnail view to be same as I have. I do not expect the recipients of the drive with XnView installed to be readily able to go to settings and set program up. Also, what about the Catalog? Can it be included on the external drive and subsequently referenced by XnView?
If you go to Tools > Settings > Integration -- Paths you should be able to place all required files including the .ini file and various catalogues in the XnView MP folder on the drive... :D
Rick

Post by Rick »

cday wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:33 pm If you go to Tools > Settings > Integration -- Paths you should be able to place all required files including the .ini file and various catalogues in the XnView MP folder on the drive... :D
I want to move from the installed program to the portable. I launched the portable and everything was there from APPDATA including my toolbar and layout. My question is, does everything from APPDATA go into the top of the Xnview portable? I don't want to uninstall the installed program and have an OH! NO! moment :mrgreen:
--
Rick
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

Rick wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:18 pm I want to move from the installed program to the portable. I launched the portable and everything was there from APPDATA including my toolbar and layout.
It is interesting that on installation the ZIP version picks up the settings of an existing installed version: the default file locations in the ZIP version are set to 'system' or whatever the term is, so that is logical. But whether they should be set that way rather than to the ZIP version folder, is perhaps a reasonable question, although quite possibly not doing so would unacceptably increase Pierre's workload :?:

My question is, does everything from APPDATA go into the top of the Xnview portable? I don't want to uninstall the installed program and have an OH! NO! moment :mrgreen:
If some do I would expect that all do, but to be sure you should check that to satisfy yourself. You could also backup your settings first to be sure. And once the ZIP version location are set to that folder, I imagine the installed and portable versions should operate entirely independently.

You also have the option, probably not helpful depending on what you do, of using different installed and portable version bit depths, 32-bit and 64-bit, which should operate entirely independently with different data locations, I think.
Rick

Post by Rick »

I think I will make a "settings" folder for the portable version then dump the appdata stuff there. Then change the configuration to point there. (Then move my batch presets to the program folder as they are in the installed version. I'll let you know how that goes
--
Rick
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

Rick wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:57 pm I think I will make a "settings" folder for the portable version then dump the appdata stuff there. Then change the configuration to point there. (Then move my batch presets to the program folder as they are in the installed version. I'll let you know how that goes
The options in Settings > Integration include Program (XnView) as well as Custom, so little action is required unless you particularly wish to select your own choice of location...
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

m.Th. wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:06 amHow to do it:
  1. Make a folder on your data drive - let's call it D:\XnView
  2. Go and see where is your old data warehouse (this is optional - only if you wish to save them): Go to Tools | Settings | Integration press the 'Open Database Location...' - leave the Explorer Window open.
  3. In XnView from 'Folder for Database (.db)' drop-down choose 'Custom'. Now press the '...' button and select the D:\XnView folder created in step 1. Press Ok. Now you'll see in D:\XnView two new databases: Thumb.db and XnView.db. Beware, the XnView.DB still holds your catalog data from the old db, so isn't needed to copy it here.
  4. If you do not want to move your old data warehouse (usually the thumbs), you're done. But if you want to see the old DBs, then close XnViewMP and copy from the Explorer Window opened at step 2 the files xnview.db and thumb.db over the empty ones from step 3. Restart the XnViewMP. You should see your old data store with the thumbs already generated.
  5. Enjoy!
Rick

Post by Rick »

I just finished. I probably didn't need a "Settings" folder. Be that as it may, it worked flawlessly
  • I copied the appdata stuff to the settings folder
    Moved the xnview.ini to the program folder
    Then moved my batch templates into the program folder
After that all that was needed was to adjust the paths under setting and I was good to go

Thanks for all your help with this
--
Rick
OldPilot

Categories Re: Using Zip version install on external drive.

Post by OldPilot »

How do I clean up category references on the external drive? I copied my catalogs from my computer app data folder to the external drive. Everything looked fine until I use the categories filter and noticed that the references in the categories filter was still back to images that existed in previously used folders, both on my desktop computer or on the network. Obviously , I want the category filter on the external drive to only reference the files that are on the external drive.

Now after doing some enquiries I don't know what to do, I am a little nervous that I might delete something important.

How do I refresh the categories that are now stored on my external drive, so that it will properly reference the correct thumbnails? I notice that looking at the categories filter results that it does not reference all the files located on this external drive. Using the update categories from file feature does not help the situation. What I really need to do is to somehow erase the references to C drive or E drive, etc and instead replace it with references to the current K drive external hard drive. :?: