How to install 8BF plugin, e.g. SmartCurve?

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

rsbrux

How to install 8BF plugin, e.g. SmartCurve?

Post by rsbrux »

I have an 8BF plugin, SmartCurve, which I would like to use in XnView MP. I have found numerous posts about using plugins, but none which explain how to install one in XnView MP. IIRC, it is a 32-bit plugin. Am I therefore limited to 32-bit XnView MP?
I have two versions of SmartCurve, both of which claim to be V2.2, but a binary file comparison shows differences, which makes me nervous about using them. The newest source that I find for the plugin is softpedia. Is that version safe to use with XnView? Is there a more recent (or 64-bit) version, or is there another plugin which can achieve the same effect?
XnView Classic 2.49.4
XnViewMP 0.97
running under Windows 8.1 Pro x64
cday
XnThusiast

Re: How to install 8BF plugin, e.g. SmartCurve?

Post by cday »

rsbrux wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 4:21 pm I have an 8BF plugin, SmartCurve, which I would like to use in XnView MP. I have found numerous posts about using plugins, but none which explain how to install one in XnView MP. IIRC, it is a 32-bit plugin. Am I therefore limited to 32-bit XnView MP?
I installed SmartCurve once to have a quick look, I'm not sure whether it was in XnView MP or Classic. I can't give detailed advice on installing 8BF plugins as I have only installed one once or twice, and I remember for me it involved some trial and error.

In general 32-bit plugins can only be used with 32-bit applications. so you would likely be limited to using XnView MP 32-bit.

However possible good news: If you need a curves function, native support was added to XnView MP some time back at Image > Adjust > Curves...
and so it should be available in both 32-bit and 64-bit versions. :D

I have two versions of SmartCurve, both of which claim to be V2.2, but a binary file comparison shows differences, which makes me nervous about using them. The newest source that I find for the plugin is softpedia. Is that version safe to use with XnView? Is there a more recent (or 64-bit) version, or is there another plugin which can achieve the same effect?
I'm afraid I don't have any information on that, but hopefully you now have a good solution?