macOS version: Issues with German localization

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

XnView-User

macOS version: Issues with German localization

Post by XnView-User »

The German localization of the current macOS version 0.95 of “XnView MP” is something like a German-English fruit salad peppered with terms from a Windows system. That’s just one reason why I consider “XnView MP (for Mac)” as a Beta-version, at the best. (More posts regarding this will follow).

As apparently nobody is aware of that fact I would like to give you some examples:

1.) In macOS there is no Explorer. The Explorer in macOS is called “Finder”. But in XnView MP for macOS you find the Windows-only(!) term “Explorer” in many places, in sub-menus and context menus and so on.

2.) There’s also no Arbeitsplatz or Desktop in macOS. The equivalent for the “Desktop” in macOS is “Schreibtisch”. And what is named in “XnView MP” as “Arbeitsplatz” is in fact the user directory which always carries the user name (the one with the home icon).

3.) In the file browser on the left, the system directories Documents, Movies, Music, Pictures and Public are shown in English language, thus still untranslated. The German translations for Documents, Movies, Music, Pictures and Public are: Dokumente, Filme, Musik, Bilder and Öffentlich (exactly as correctly shown in the “Finder” of a Mac-computer which is set to German language).

4.) Your German translator, apparently Mr. Helmut Müller, must have had a bad day when translating the MP-version for macOS. He didn’t even translate the English words Yes and No, nor the word Cancel. Those English terms Yes, No and Cancel show up in all sub-menus.

It would be great if somebody could improve the here described problems with the German localization.

PS: I’m a long-time user of “XnView Classic” under Windows 7, for almost 10 years. And I’m very grateful for this program which helped me a lot to organize and tag my huge photo collection with IPTC-meta-tags. Thank you very much for this great tool, dear Pierre!

But “XnView MP (for Mac)” is in my opinion a Beta-version, at the best, and should therefore also be declared as such.

Update and additional remarks:

Going deeper through the menus of XnView MP for macOS one can find even more English terms which are not yet translated into German, like the buttons Abort, New folder and Open.

There might be even more, who knows.

And; I just tried out the standalone application "XnConvert". I can see that the same applies to this program. Its German localization is also a German-English fruit salad peppered with terms from a Windows system.
Using: XnView Classic on a Windows 7 64-bit system and XnView MP on a macOS and Windows 10 system.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: macOS version: Issues with German localization

Post by xnview »

XnView MP use same translation file for all platforms, so this can be a little problem for some.
XnView-User wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:17 pm 1.) In macOS there is no Explorer. The Explorer in macOS is called “Finder”. But in XnView MP for macOS you find the Windows-only(!) term “Explorer” in many places, in sub-menus and context menus and so on.
Ok, i'll use the 'Finder' term
2.) There’s also no Arbeitsplatz or Desktop in macOS. The equivalent for the “Desktop” in macOS is “Schreibtisch”. And what is named in “XnView MP” as “Arbeitsplatz” is in fact the user directory which always carries the user name (the one with the home icon).
ok
4.) Your German translator, apparently Mr. Helmut Müller, must have had a bad day when translating the MP-version for macOS. He didn’t even translate the English words Yes and No, nor the word Cancel. Those English terms Yes, No and Cancel show up in all sub-menus.
could you post some screenshots?
But “XnView MP (for Mac)” is in my opinion a Beta-version, at the best, and should therefore also be declared as such.[/i]
Sorry but it's not a beta...
Pierre.
XnView-User

Post by XnView-User »

Hello Pierre.

Thanks for your reply and for acknowledging the mentioned translation issues. I don’t know about programming and language files, but when you say that you’re using the same language file for all platforms this surely is the explanation for these translation problems, particularly for the macOS version of XnView MP.

I wonder why you didn’t just use the corresponding file from XnView Classic? XnView Classic has a proper German localization. I never found anything untranslated or wrongly translated in XnView Classic.

And here are the missing German translations for your language file. It should be easy to just “search and replace” those not yet translated terms in that file.

Explorer = Finder

Missing German translations for “System directories” (in the file browser on the left):

Computer = is in macOS the individual name of the hard disc (it should be possible to take this name from the system)
Arbeitsplatz = is in macOS the user directory which always carries the individual user name, the one with the home icon (it should be possible to take this user name from the system).

Desktop = Schreibtisch
Documents = Dokumente
Movies = Filme
Music = Musik
Pictures = Bilder
Public = Öffentlich

Volumes = is in macOS the individual computer name (it should be possible to take this name from the system)

Missing German translations for “Menu buttons”:

Yes = Ja
No = Nein

Save = Speichern

Cancel = Abbrechen
Abort = Abbrechen

(In English “Abort” is the same as “Cancel”. I would say, for the English localization only, you better stick to the term “Cancel”.)

New folder = Neuer Ordner
Open = Öffnen

And in the “Edit IPTC/XMP” window shows up a little weird translation for the English term “location”.

Location = Ort

(and not “Lokation”. This word doesn’t exist in German)

Greetings

PS: I made the desired screenshots for you on my Mac. But I have problems uploading these 9 png-files. Is there any limitation for attachments here?

EDIT: Here are the 9 screenshots in 3 zip-Files
Attachments
localization issues 2.zip
(819.96 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
localization issues 3.zip
(1.03 MiB) Downloaded 63 times
localization issues.zip
(1.61 MiB) Downloaded 73 times
Using: XnView Classic on a Windows 7 64-bit system and XnView MP on a macOS and Windows 10 system.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

XnView-User wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:28 am I wonder why you didn’t just use the corresponding file from XnView Classic? XnView Classic has a proper German localization. I never found anything untranslated or wrongly translated in XnView Classic.
Not the same translation system, but it's the same german translator, and he check always his translation...
Desktop = Schreibtisch
Documents = Dokumente
Movies = Filme
Music = Musik
Pictures = Bilder
Public = Öffentlich
These strings are not from XnView MP but from your system.
PS: I made the desired screenshots for you on my Mac. But I have problems uploading these 9 png-files. Is there any limitation for attachments here?
It's strange that you have Cancel/Save/No, it's the dialog when you try to save an existing file?
Pierre.
helmut

Post by helmut »

Thank you very much, XnView-User, for your comments on the German translation of XnView MP on iOS. The current German translator of XnView Classic and XnView MP is writing, here. Your feedback for XnView MP on iOS is very valuable and most welcome because I'm not familiar with iOS and don't have an opportunity to check the German translation out on iOS.

From what I see, the issues that you have listed above fall in three categories:

• A - Missing translations: On iOS the German translation isn't displayed for some reason (Yes, No, Cancel, ...)
• B - Terms / Wordings on iOS differ from Windows
• C - Wrong German translation

For the categories A and B it's important and good if you and Pierre work closely together to get these issues fixed. There's nothing I can do about these issues.
And here are the missing German translations for your language file. It should be easy to just “search and replace” those not yet translated terms in that file.
This is not a good idea at all unless there were different language files for iOS and Windows (which is not the case):
When fixing these issues of category A it's very essential and important that these changes affect iOS, only. Terms in Windows must not change unless the German translator (currently me) has given his/her approval. E.g. "Finder" is a term used on iOS- on Windows one speaks of "Explorer".

For a wrong German translation (category C) I'll make the appropriate change in the German translation. It's best to discuss issues in the German translation of XnView in the topic ** Deutsch - German.

"Cancel" and "Abort"
"Cancel" and "Abort/Stop" are different things: Typically, "Cancel" closes a message box and quits without starting any action. "Abort/Stop" is for aborting/stopping an action that the user has previously started. Aborting/stopping a search that takes long and/or which has first search results, already, is such an example. This is an important difference which should be indicated in a different labelling of the buttons. So "Cancel" and "Abort" are fine and should'nt be changed or unified.
Related topic:
- Improve wording of buttons "cancel" and "Abort"

From what I can see the only wrong German translation that is left is translation of "Location". I'll discuss this in topic "** Deutsch - German".
XnView-User

Post by XnView-User »

It’s all about the version for Apple computers which all run with the operational system named macOS!

iOS is Apples operational system for iPhones and iPads only.

And "XnView MP for Mac" had a whole lot of translation gaps, in the moment I posted this thread.

I also wasn’t talking about “wrong” translations, I was talking about untranslated terms or translation gaps and about Windows-only terms that just don’t belong in a XNView MP version which is officially designated for macOS.

Some of these translation issues have been fixed in the meantime. Thank you for this, whoever is responsible for this.

Well; Meanwhile, a few beta-versions later with “XnViewMP 0.96.2”, the translation gaps are sadly still quite serious (see screenshots).
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-10 um 22.24.25.jpg
Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-19 um 22.59.12.png
Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-19 um 22.47.34.jpg
Bildschirmfoto 2020-05-19 um 22.45.26.jpg
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

the names in folder tree are from file system, there is no translation here
Pierre.
helmut

Post by helmut »

Thank you for your above post with screenshots of the translation issues, XnView-user.

• Screenshot 1 "Save as"
From what I can see all the labels in English fall in to to the category "Non-translatable strings". @Pierre: Could you please check?

• Screenshot 2 "Properties > System integration"
For Windows, "Im Explorer öffnen" is fine but sure enough not for macOS. I might change this to "Dateipfad öffnen" which is used in Windows 10. "Dateipfad öffnen" would also fit on macOS, I think.

• Screenshot 3: "Folder tree"
As Pierre has pointed out, folder names are provided by macOS.

• Screenshot 4: "Rating/Tag/Color label ...".
German translation was done and provided but obviously it didn't make its way into the macOS package of XnView. @Pierre: Could you please check?
XnView-User

Post by XnView-User »

xnview wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 8:26 am the names in folder tree are from file system, there is no translation here
And why are other applications able to translate this? The proper macOS can translate this to German if one sets its system to German. Other apps or programs are able to do this as well. Check for example “PhotoScapeX” for macOS which also has a folder tree view on the left.
XnView-User

Post by XnView-User »

The German translation of „XnView MP for macOS” (it’s not called MacOSX) seems to be a hopeless case!

Now with Version 0.96.4 this dialog is still in English, I mean everything is in English.
Please see the screenshot

Honestly; Your German translator Helmut should be fired;-)

[In german] Mr. Helmut ist hoffnungsloser Fall!
Attachments
Hoffnungsloser Fall - XnView MP 0.96.4 immer noch alles auf Englisch.png
helmut

Post by helmut »

@XnView-User: You have just received a user warning. Do you really think that your above post is acceptable? Did you read my posts above? As written before most of the issues in the German translation that you've mentioned fall into the category "Non-translatable strings". This means that all translators - be it German, Russian, or whatever language - have no way to translate the appropriate labels and only the author of XnView can do something about it. So what do you want from me? Either read carefully and post things that are constructive and helpful or just STFU! Thank you.

Und noch auf deutsch, damit du es verstehst: Entweder hältst du dich an die Forumsregeln und schreibst hier konstruktive Beiträge oder du bist ganz schnell draussen, XnView-User.