Why TWAIN interface window for scanner always in background

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

tacitus5

Why TWAIN interface window for scanner always in background

Post by tacitus5 »

System: MS Windows 10, Version 1809

Program used: XnView MP Windows; Version 0.93 64bits (Jan 31 2019); Libformat version 7.25

Most of the time I use the software in connection with a flatbed scanner (with Twain Interface : WIA-WIA-Canoscan 5600F 1.0 32:32).
Since I first installed XnView MP, the TWAIN interface opens always in the background, so I don't see it is active until I "ALT-TAB" through all open windows.

I downloaded XnView MP about two months ago; before that I used XnView, and with the older XnView the TWAIN interface opened in the foreground (displaying above the XnView window) with the same TWAIN interface and same physical flatbed scanner. I wonder why this is so.

Is there a way to change the behaviour of the Twain interface window to come up in the foreground again? I didn't find anything in the Settings for Xn View MP.

Because this behaviour is somewhat annoying, I even tried to switch back to XnView, which is still installed, but somehow the old XnView cannot communicate with the TWAIN interface anymore. (reason unknown)

Am I doing something wrong, did I miss an something or is it windows bug or whatever - help is appreciated

Any ideas?
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Why TWAIN interface window for scanner always in background

Post by xnview »

tacitus5 wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:19 pm Is there a way to change the behaviour of the Twain interface window to come up in the foreground again? I didn't find anything in the Settings for Xn View MP.
Each time, scan dialog is opened in background?
Because this behaviour is somewhat annoying, I even tried to switch back to XnView, which is still installed, but somehow the old XnView cannot communicate with the TWAIN interface anymore. (reason unknown)
Do you have selected the good TWAIN source?
Pierre.
tacitus5

Post by tacitus5 »

First of all:

thanks Pierre for reacting to my question posted some months ago.

I didn't write again here, because I got somehow used to <ALT><TAB> through all open windows until reaching the window with the TWAIN interface and starting the scan there. Not a real solution, but at least it works - while putting heavy load on the <ALT> and <TAB> keys of my keyboard, when I'm scanning hundreds of pages.
Each time, scan dialog is opened in background?
YES, EACH TIME.
Do you have selected the good TWAIN source?
If you're referring to the TWAIN source used with the old XnView versus the TWAIN source used with Xn View MP: It is exactly the same one.

Some updates:
In the meantime I have bought a new computer system, new hardware, new installation of scanner driver (which is the one from Canon website and up to date and which also includes the TWAIN interface), new installation of Xn View MP.

Still with Xn View MP the same behaviour: Scan dialog is opened in the background every time.

If I used another program to open the same TWAIN source for displaying the scan dialog, it is opened in the foreground as it should.

Since all this happens on a new and clean machine I'm still at a loss explaining this odd behaviour, it doesn't seem to depend on some possible misconfiguration of my old machine.

If you also have no further idea to it, so be it - willful AI is starting it's first babysteps from overly complex Win10 into the wild :twisted:
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

I think that it depends of the TAWAIN driver, i can't reproduce. I've sent you a PM
Pierre.