How to write rating (and other metadata) to file?

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

macmacmac

How to write rating (and other metadata) to file?

Post by macmacmac »

Hi y'all,

I'm wondering how to write the rating to my image file so that it is readable by Lightroom

Anyone suggestions?
michel038
XnThusiast

Re: How to write rating (and other metadata) to file?

Post by michel038 »

If you talk about jpg pictures, in Options, metadata, you must enable :
- "export rating in xmp metadata"
Rating was existing in exif data many years ago, but xnviewmp doesn't use exif rating.

if it's about raw files, enable also :
"update or create xmp sidecar" , sidecar is a .xmp file with the same name as the raw file.

For other metadata, you must choose if you want to use iptc, or xmp (see the cat there) , and use "edit iptc/xmp" window (Ctrl i) (and set "mode" option in the least tab)
For keywords, you must choose if you want to use "xnviewmp categories" or not ...
macmacmac

Re: How to write rating (and other metadata) to file?

Post by macmacmac »

michel038 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:04 pm If you talk about jpg pictures, in Options, metadata, you must enable :
- "export rating in xmp metadata"
Rating was existing in exif data many years ago, but xnviewmp doesn't use exif rating.

if it's about raw files, enable also :
"update or create xmp sidecar" , sidecar is a .xmp file with the same name as the raw file.

For other metadata, you must choose if you want to use iptc, or xmp (see the cat there) , and use "edit iptc/xmp" window (Ctrl i) (and set "mode" option in the least tab)
For keywords, you must choose if you want to use "xnviewmp categories" or not ...
Thanks for your reply.

As a small note to it (for anyone having troubles with it in the future), after following these instructions, the xmp sidecar is only generated after changing it (meaning the rating etc which is set BEFORE activating this are not visible until something is changed in the xmp file)