Adobe Suite Icons and File Opens

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

zorp

Adobe Suite Icons and File Opens

Post by zorp »

Hello. I've been searching for some answers to my questions but I'm not very tech savvy so I'm not sure if I'm understanding the jargon properly.

I downloaded the MP version of the software along with the Ghostscript (not sure if I did that right). I have a couple of issues though and I think they may be connected. I view large thumbnails in my folders because I have a mix of pictures and the associated programs I created them in. I want to see the live view of the pictures (jpg, png, ect) but the icon of the software (PDF, Photoshop, Illustrator). That way I can easily navigate to either the file or the program file. But I can't figure out how to do that in the same folder under preferences.

I'm also having an issue opening files. I can open picture files but they open in tabs instead of a separate window (so I can see the folder and file icons in my taskbar). In addition, when I double click program files (PDF, PS) they open picture views of the document and not the document itself which is what I need. I can usually navigate to the open file in associated program option but it takes so long when I'm working with lots of files. Is there any way to fix these things? Thank you.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Adobe Suite Icons and File Opens

Post by xnview »

zorp wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:09 am I downloaded the MP version of the software along with the Ghostscript (not sure if I did that right). I have a couple of issues though and I think they may be connected. I view large thumbnails in my folders because I have a mix of pictures and the associated programs I created them in. I want to see the live view of the pictures (jpg, png, ect) but the icon of the software (PDF, Photoshop, Illustrator). That way I can easily navigate to either the file or the program file. But I can't figure out how to do that in the same folder under preferences.
so you would like to view the icon when you view a picture file?
I'm also having an issue opening files. I can open picture files but they open in tabs instead of a separate window (so I can see the folder and file icons in my taskbar). In addition, when I double click program files (PDF, PS) they open picture views of the document and not the document itself which is what I need. I can usually navigate to the open file in associated program option but it takes so long when I'm working with lots of files. Is there any way to fix these things? Thank you.
XnView MP is tabs based
Pierre.
zorp

Post by zorp »

Ah okay so no windows. So that leaves the Adobe stuff then.

So yes. When I'm looking in a folder, I would like to see thumbnails of pictures but icons of files. Like a whole folder might be pictures of dogs with one Photoshop file, so I want to see all pictures of dogs except one file would be a giant blue Photoshop icon. All the Adobe suite files have those big icons and it's what I use to locate the files in a folder full of pictures.

Once I locate my large icons and double click, it should take me to the program and open the file but that's not happening and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.
zorp

Post by zorp »

I tried to attach a folder level view to illustrate what I'm trying to do. You can see the thumbnails of anything that is a jpg or png picture file and view the icon of the programs in the Adobe Suite without the live view. This is what I am trying to achieve.

Currently, when I use XNView all I see are live views and I have to drill down into the details to see what the file is. I want pictures to show as pictures and anything from an Adobe Suite file to only show the icon - no live view.
Attachments
folder view.PNG
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

if you don't want thumbnails for PSD, you can add psd in settings>File list>Custom filter>Exclude for 'show thumbnails'
Pierre.