Using XMP

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

tom99

Using XMP

Post by tom99 »

Hi, I just got XnViewMP (0.90) on Linux and tried to find out how the XMP sidecar data works.

Please can you tell what is the difference between setting 'IPTC, create XMP' and 'XMP, create IPTC' in the last tab when changing Metadata?
(Can I find somewhere documentation about all settings, what are they doing; I know, some are obvious, but others I hove no idea how they will behave.)

Also, please can you tell me, how I get the data into the XMP-sidecar file? What I see is that only the rating (and color) is stored?
(But it seems that title, etc. are stored in the jpg-itself.)
I want to (additionally) save title, etc. in the XMP-file, so that I can move it to the RW2-folder and have the metadata automatically attached.

When I compare it with XMP from darktable I see that the first line (about the XML-type) is missing.
Also the names for rating in darktable and XnView are different. Is there no standard for naming of this important fields?
I also see that the order of the metadata tags are changing after saving them. (I think even inside XnView.)
Can XnView read the metadata from darktable? (And vice versa)?

What for is the setting 'Use catalog'?
What happens when I choose 'Update file from catalog' or 'Update catalog from file'? (Which file, which info is updated)?

Sorry for all this questions, I seached around a lot, but could not get adequate info.
(But I found that with the next version there is a link between jpg-xmp-rw2 files! Thanks.)
(Also I think - I didn't try - that you can arrange the pictures and then save a file list with this order or rename the files in this order. This would be really great.)

Best wishes and thanks for your good work, Thomas
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Using XMP

Post by xnview »

tom99 wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 9:37 am Please can you tell what is the difference between setting 'IPTC, create XMP' and 'XMP, create IPTC' in the last tab when changing Metadata?
The primary data will be IPTC or XMP, some fields are not available in XMP

Also, please can you tell me, how I get the data into the XMP-sidecar file? What I see is that only the rating (and color) is stored?
(But it seems that title, etc. are stored in the jpg-itself.)
I want to (additionally) save title, etc. in the XMP-file, so that I can move it to the RW2-folder and have the metadata automatically attached.
You can enable settings>Metadata>Update or create sidecar
When I compare it with XMP from darktable I see that the first line (about the XML-type) is missing.
Also the names for rating in darktable and XnView are different. Is there no standard for naming of this important fields?
I also see that the order of the metadata tags are changing after saving them. (I think even inside XnView.)
Can XnView read the metadata from darktable? (And vice versa)?
could you send me a xmp from darktable?
What for is the setting 'Use catalog'?
A database will be used to store some infos & thumbnail
What happens when I choose 'Update file from catalog' or 'Update catalog from file'? (Which file, which info is updated)?
'Update file from catalog' will use the metadata from file to update the one in database
'Update catalog from file' will use rating/labels from database to update the file
Pierre.
michel038
XnThusiast

Re: Using XMP

Post by michel038 »

'Update file from catalog' will use the metadata from file to update the one in database
'Update catalog from file' will use rating/labels from database to update the file
Files or folders that are selected in tne browser will be read, to update database

... or selected files will be updated by database (if files were damaged, or categorized without writing metadata)