Plugins and Addons

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Plugins

Post by xnview »

ECCX25519 wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:15 am Yes I deleted the plugin; I tried reinstalling the HEIC and HEVC plugins from MS store then reinstalling Xnview
Windows 10 x64?
Pierre.
ECCX25519

Post by ECCX25519 »

Yep Windows 10 Pro x64 v1909 with latest updates, I checked with another pc, seems like there's something wrong with my laptop. Thanks for the help tho :)
Nabor

Post by Nabor »

With Linx Mint 20 I have installed libheif1 heif-thumpnailer and heif-gdk-pixbuf.
I can see Thumbnails of my *.heic images in Nemo and I'm able to open the images with Xviewer the default image viewer.

Is there a chance that XnView MP can use this libraries and also support heif images :?:
Tim

HEIF, HEIC in Linux

Post by Tim »

Hi Pierre,

Xnview is for me since many years the best software to view, rename and organize my photos and 2020/2021 seems to be the years where HEIF and HEIC comes into the cameras like the new Canon Full-Frame-Cameras or the new Sony A3S ... many mobiles seem to support the format, but there are many different aspects between the formats like 8 and 10 bit, different color profiles, different gamma curves like PQ, HLG ...

I know its a bit rude to wish things for a software which i can use for free but i hope that full HEIF HEIC support will be in xnview in the near future or that its one of the top points in the xnview-roadmap.

If Xnview shows HEIF / HEIC files with the correct color profile and metadata on windows and linux a switch from jpeg to heic is possible, if the addon would cost anything because of license fees i would accept it ...

Thank you for your hard work in the last years ...

Tim
kneemuh

Re: HEIF, HEIC in Linux

Post by kneemuh »

Tim wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:53 pm Hi Pierre,

Xnview is for me since many years the best software to view, rename and organize my photos and 2020/2021 seems to be the years where HEIF and HEIC comes into the cameras like the new Canon Full-Frame-Cameras or the new Sony A3S ... many mobiles seem to support the format, but there are many different aspects between the formats like 8 and 10 bit, different color profiles, different gamma curves like PQ, HLG ...

I know its a bit rude to wish things for a software which i can use for free but i hope that full HEIF HEIC support will be in xnview in the near future or that its one of the top points in the xnview-roadmap.

If Xnview shows HEIF / HEIC files with the correct color profile and metadata on windows and linux a switch from jpeg to heic is possible, if the addon would cost anything because of license fees i would accept it ...

Thank you for your hard work in the last years ...

Tim
I would like to echo Tim's statement and emphasize the importance of this, especially with the impending Canon and Sony launches that Tim referenced. I have placed my own pre-order for the a7S III and look forward to capturing HEIF 10-bit 4:2:2.
mbg

Post by mbg »

Just some feedback based on the above discussions.

Windows 10 x64 version 2004.

I could not open .heic files in XnView MP.

I installed the HEVC Video Extensions from the Microsoft Store (I had to pay for these - C$1.29). It was not sufficient to only have the HEIF Image Extensions installed.

Afterwards, I could open .heic files in XnView MP without issues (as well as in the built-in Photos app).
toriatama

Post by toriatama »

Hi,

I just want to report that XnView MP HEIF plugin does not work.
XnviewMP version 0.96.4 64bits (updated to 0.96.5)
Plugins downloaded: heif_x64 (from the plugin forum page for XnView MP)

When checking XnView MP "about/plugin" the HEIF.dll read plugin is there (https://github.com/nokiatech/heif).

But it does not work. Any possible fix?
I installed the HEVC Video Extensions from the Microsoft Store (I had to pay for these - C$1.29). It was not sufficient to only have the HEIF Image Extensions installed.
Afterwards, I could open .heic files in XnView MP without issues (as well as in the built-in Photos app).
Installing Microsoft Store free HEIF Image Extensions is not enough, it does not work, even with MS Photo. mbg seems to be right, windows 10 users must buy the HEVC Video Extensions (paid extension) to make it works... I did not (and do not want) link my credit card to MS Store, so I cannot use the MS Store solution.

For now I found a free conversion tool to do the job. The software is free and work well, it has no spyware/bundle adware but try to connect (phone home?) to 2 websites (blocked with the firewall):
https://imazing.com/
Have converted all the HEIC files at once to PNG. Strangely, 1.5Mo size files become 10Mo PNG file... much larger!
CameronD

Post by CameronD »

toriatama wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:27 pm ...
Have converted all the HEIC files at once to PNG. Strangely, 1.5Mo size files become 10Mo PNG file... much larger!
That is probably because you are processing real-world photographs, which PNG is not suited to. JPEG would be a much better option.
The lossy compression in jpeg and heic produce artifacts in images that PNG has to reproduce in a lossless fashion. So a saved PNG will be about the same size as if you had saved from an original image that had not been through the heic lossy compression. In some cases the png could even end up larger than if you had saved from the original image.

I was given a pile of images from my son's iphone, many with the little bit of half-second video. I ended up batch converting the lot to jpeg, and then wrote a script to transfer the metadata using exiftool.

Curiously, I have HEVC video extensions that I installed from then, but it is not listed as "purchased".
toriatama

Post by toriatama »

Thank you CameronD for your explanation about HEIC and PNG/JPG sizes.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

toriatama wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:27 pm Hi,

I just want to report that XnView MP HEIF plugin does not work.
XnviewMP version 0.96.4 64bits (updated to 0.96.5)
Plugins downloaded: heif_x64 (from the plugin forum page for XnView MP)

When checking XnView MP "about/plugin" the HEIF.dll read plugin is there (https://github.com/nokiatech/heif).
Could you send me a file that you try to load?
Pierre.
zaadstra

Post by zaadstra »

Hi,

new user here ;-)

I installed the plugin, after few steps it does show the file on screen for me. So for me, it works.

What is strange, compared to other formats, is that a *.heic file opens to the XnViewMP browser, while a *.jpg or a *.cr2 opens in the viewer right away.
So if I double click the thumb in the browser then the viewer starts with the pic.

Any thoughts?

Small update,
if I open a JPG or a HEIC with W10x64 context menu 'Open with...' and select XnView MP,, the JPG file shows a pic while the HEIC file opens to the browser. I.E., same behaviour as double click the files. Thumb pic for HEIC is Ok.
Software and plugin are all latest versions.
toriatama

Post by toriatama »

xnview wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:58 pm Could you send me a file that you try to load?
Sure! Sending it to you!
Regards.
fireattack

Post by fireattack »

The plugin from OP doesn't work here either for an image from iPhone (Win7 x64 bit).
It says "file can't be loaded".

Image: https://www.dropbox.com/s/l36ivq71ejpsm ... .HEIC?dl=0
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

fireattack wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:52 am The plugin from OP doesn't work here either for an image from iPhone (Win7 x64 bit).
It says "file can't be loaded".

Image: https://www.dropbox.com/s/l36ivq71ejpsm ... .HEIC?dl=0
you have a new plugin in default package for heic
Pierre.
Arvalon

Post by Arvalon »

xnview wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:55 am Plugins (must be in 'Plugins' directory)

- HEIF format x32 bits and x64 bits
- XPackRAW by Márcio Pais
x86 version shows heic and the x64 does not. Updated the plugin for the x64 version.

Windows 10 Pro
version 21H1
Build 19043.1288