Filter for a category does not select sub-categories, why?

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

alobo

Filter for a category does not select sub-categories, why?

Post by alobo »

Assume I have a photo labelled with sub-category "Mantis" within "Insects" (using the menu "Categories").
If I use "Categories FIlter" to click "Insects", I do not get the photo labelled "Mantis" selected, why?
(using XnView MP MacOSX Version 0.87 64bits (Sep 5 2017))
I guess there is something fundamental I'm not understanding or failed to do...
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Filter for a category does not select sub-categories, why?

Post by xnview »

Are you sure that your file has the 2 categories??
Pierre.
xnau

Post by xnau »

Hi Pierre, your query killed my expectations (and alobo's too, I assume). :(
Would not it be quite useful if selecting a category in the tree would also select the categories in all subsequent hierarchy levels?

Reinhold
michel038
XnThusiast

Post by michel038 »

Maybe something wrong ...
- First, in categories panel, verify if this photo has both categories. (uncheck /check the category box)
- Then, in categories filter , "Match", check if search will run on Global catalog and any categories.
Sometimes, something is missing in the catalog : in "categories" menu, use File's categories, Export.
Edit the XML file with a notepad, and look for the name of your photo ... and verify it's categories
etc ... (non ascii folder names ?)
Attachments
catnot found.png
catnot found.png (9.58 KiB) Viewed 1340 times
jadO

Post by jadO »

xnau wrote:Would not it be quite useful if selecting a category in the tree would also select the categories in all subsequent hierarchy levels?
Not necessarily. But it would nice to have this as optional switch.
alobo

Post by alobo »

Well, if selecting a given category (p.e. "insects") does not select sub-categories (i.e. "Mantis"), there is no really
any hierarchical structure in the tags. A hierarchy implies, precisely, that if I set "Mantis" as a tag for a photo, "insects" is automatically
and silently applied. Otherwise, I would just have 2 categories, "insects" and "Mantis", at the same level.
michel038
XnThusiast

Post by michel038 »

There was no hierarchical structure in keywords until Adobe created xmp:lr:hierarchicalsubject (or others like Digikam perhaps)
Some people used hierarchical structure in iptc keywords and xnviewmp can read (into database) or write such iptc keywords but sometimes categories are not built with right hierarchy

When you use categories for tagging, xnviewmp creates xmp:lr:hierarchicalsubject keywords.
You can also import these keywords to create hierachized categories.
If your images had no xmp:lr hierchical keywords, I think the best way is to create empty hierachical categories first, and then read keywords in your folders to fill categories (select folders and use menu : View, Update catalog from files)

Later, you can use "Automatically apply parent keywords" : select all images from a category in "filters" ("mantis"), deselect and select again category (in categories panel). So xnviewmp will write parent keywords.

Bug: if you de-select / select too quickly, xnviewmp doesn't write keywords. Must wait a while ..
And keywords will be written only when you release selection.