How do I create new Categories

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

paulw

How do I create new Categories

Post by paulw »

Hi: I just downloaded XnView MP and can't seem to create any Category Filters. When I Ri-Click on "Categories" (under "Special Items" on the left), I do see a line entitled "New Category" but nothing happens when I click on it. I've also tried to click on the little square above my images and/or tried dragging them into the Categories filter, but no categories get created or assigned. As far as I can tell, I also don't have a dB-file to hold any Category information (anywhere), so did something go wrong during my install? I'm running XnView as a mobile (uninstalled) application under Windows-10. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: How do I create new Categories

Post by xnview »

in category filter panel, you can create new category, and assign some images to it
Pierre.
Fufun

Post by Fufun »

Dear XnView, I downloaded XnViewMP and also cannot create new categories in the Category Filter panel (nothing happens when I click "New category"). Importing a text file with category names also doesn't work. I would highly appreciate your help.
michel038
XnThusiast

Post by michel038 »

Hi,
Maybe the installation folder is locked?
You can try to run Xnviewmp as administrator...
Or try settings, integration, paths, ... and choose a non-system folder to save settings...

To make any changes in categories, at least one photo must be selected...
Taniwha

Post by Taniwha »

I seem to have similar problems with creating categories but so far none of the hints helped.
With some images selected in XNviewMP, I tried to right-click into the "Categories" field (in the attached screen shot on the right, but nothing happens.
Right-clicking on "Categories" in the "Categories Filter" entry (on the left) opens something that says "New category", but again the request seems to go into outer space.
Somewhere in this forum it was suggested to run XNview as "Administrator" in case of missing access rights but this also didin't help. Anyone any more suggestions?
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

which screenshot?
Pierre.
michel038
XnThusiast

Post by michel038 »

Perhaps this...
-Create a text file containing a single word .
In categories pane, in the drop down menu, choose : manage categories > import...
Select your txt file to be imported, then the word should become a new category... Is it ?
tkj

Post by tkj »

Hi, I'm new to this forum so not sure if this has been dealt with but the following worked for me (Windows 10):

Run as Administrator

Tools, Settings:

Catalog: Enable Catalog

Integration Paths: Use .ini file in folder Program (XnView) - I Copied the ini from Roaming
(I did this as I wanted 'everything' on the same drive

Integration Paths: Folder for Catalog (.db): Custom '<drive>:\Users\,,,,\Documents\xnviewmp'

Integration Paths: Folder for Thumbnails Database: Same as Catalog

Integration Paths: Folder for other Files: Custom '<drive>:\Users\,,,,\Documents\xnviewmp'

Restarted and can now create/ delete and rename categories