Problem with automatic levels and automatic contrast

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

zan1964

Problem with automatic levels and automatic contrast

Post by zan1964 »

Hello Everybody,

I'm a new user of XnViewMP (previously I have used the classic version during several years) and have found the following problem when using the auto levels and auto contrast tools. This is the sequence of the operations:

- I adjust the pictures (TIFF format) by using another software;
- Then I load the pictures (one by one) with XnViewMP and apply auto levels and/or auto contrast;
- I save the files adjusted as described above;
- I close XnViewMP;
- Then, when I reopen XnViewMP and look at the pictures I see that the auto levels and auto contrast modifications haven't been saved (the pictures look as if I wouldn't apply said changes to the files).

If I repeat the operations I get the same result. Do you have any idea of what I'm eventually doing wrong? Or is it a bug that maybe somebody else have found?
I have installed the software on a PC running with Windows 10.

Thank you very much in advance.

Paolo
zan1964

Re: Problem with automatic levels and automatic contrast

Post by zan1964 »

I have seen that the pictures that appear not modified after the application of auto contrast and auto levels are displayed correctly (therefore showing the application of auto contrast and auto levels) if opened with XnView classic.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

could you send me the original file and result?
Pierre.
zan1964

Post by zan1964 »

I can't send the original file as I have already modified and saved it. However, I can send you the final file that looks different in MP in comparison of how it looks in the classic software. If I load it with MP it seems that I can apply the auto contrast again while in the classic version the auto contrast looks already applied (as it should look). It happens on my screen, at least. I wonder if it could be a bug of my system...
it is a tiff file (nearly 70 Mb) how can I share it with you?

Paolo
zan1964

Post by zan1964 »

Hi Pierre,
What I have written in my first post related to this topic was partially wrong. In fact what happens exactly is the following: whatever picture looks a bit different when seen with Xnview MP in comparison to how it looks when seen with the Classic version: with MP every picture looks a bit hazy and a bit less pleasent. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, I checked color profiles and all settings in both programs and everything seems ok. By the way: I have done a comparison with few other photo viewers and all of them show the pictures as XNview Classic.
I wonder if anybody else has the same problem...

Paolo
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

zan1964 wrote:Hi Pierre,
What I have written in my first post related to this topic was partially wrong. In fact what happens exactly is the following: whatever picture looks a bit different when seen with Xnview MP in comparison to how it looks when seen with the Classic version: with MP every picture looks a bit hazy and a bit less pleasent. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, I checked color profiles and all settings in both programs and everything seems ok. By the way: I have done a comparison with few other photo viewers and all of them show the pictures as XNview Classic.
I wonder if anybody else has the same problem...
Could you send me the file? And screenshots in XnView Classic & MP?
Pierre.
zan1964

Post by zan1964 »

Hi Pierre,
I sent the screenshots and a picture to the email address { contact ( ät ) xnview ( d0t ) com } .
Thank you,

Paolo
ZaZ

Post by ZaZ »

Hi. I have the same problem as zan1964. I used automatic level and contrast in XnView and then I saw "hazy" pictures and size was low. I tried XnViewMP for automatic levels and contrast and pictures look the same, but size is reduced. I dont know why. Tried to check resize, but I found nothing. pictures 11 12 are from XnViewMP and 12 13 from XnView.
Thank you
Attachments
Capture14.JPG
Capture13.JPG
Capture12.JPG
Capture11.JPG
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

could you send me original file?
Pierre.