Time Display Preferences ???

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

BuckSkin

Time Display Preferences ???

Post by BuckSkin »

I am very new to this program and am still stumbling along trying to get things figured out.

Is there some way that I can make the mouse-over-thumbnail display always show the correct date/time the photo was actually taken/captured/digitized ?

When I first viewed in XnViewMP, when I moused over a thumbnail, it would display the exact date/time that the shutter opened and the image was captured.

I didn't know I did anything to change things; but, now, I am seeing " todays-date/some-time-today - {Date Taken} "

The images definitely were not taken today.

I have looked in settings > thumbnails > labels, but I can't figure out how to change anything there.

Also, I would like it if it displayed the exact date/time of capture underneath the file-name, always visible underneath the thumbnail.

Thanks for reading and I hope I made my questions clear enough to make sense.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Re: Time Display Preferences ???

Post by XnTriq »

Hi BuckSkin :-)
BuckSkin wrote:Is there some way that I can make the mouse-over-thumbnail display always show the correct date/time the photo was actually taken/captured/digitized ?
The so-called tooltips can be customized by editing the text field in Tools » Settings... » Browser » Browser. Adding the following line is all you have to do: {EXIF:Date Taken [a d/b/Y H:M:S]}
BTW: It's the same procedure as for Information displayed in Tools » Settings... » View » Info.
BuckSkin wrote:Also, I would like it if it displayed the exact date/time of capture underneath the file-name, always visible underneath the thumbnail.
The labels are customized in Tools » Settings... » Thumbnails » Labels. Select EXIF: Date Taken in the left column and hit the arrow button to move it to the right column. If you'd like to have the date and time to be displayed in a specific format, you need to add Custom # to the right column and edit the corresponding Custom label at the bottom of the dialog window accordingly by entering {EXIF:Date Taken [a d/b/Y H:M:S]}, for example.
Make sure to enable View » View as » Thumbnails + Labels.
  • EXIF:Date Taken = Date and time when the photo was shot (EXIF metadata)
  • EXIF:Date Digitized = Date and time when the image was stored as digital data (EXIF metadata)
  • Creation Date = Date and time when the file was written (file system)
  • Modified Date = Date and time when the file was last saved (file system)
In addition to that, you can also tell XnView to display IPTC:Created Date and IPTC:Released Date, if the file contains such metadata. While EXIF metadata is written by the camera, IPTC metadata is usually entered manually.

The syntax used for the data format is loosely based on the PHP date() function:
  • Y - Year
    y - Year without century (00-99)
    m - Month as decimal (01-12)
    d - Day as decimal (01-31)
    H - Hour (01-24)
    M - Minute (00-59)
    S - Second (00-59)
    B - Month name (e.g. February)
    b - Abbreviated month name (e.g. Feb)
    A - Weekday name (e.g. Wednesday)
    a - Abbreviated weekday name (e.g. Wed)
{EXIF:Date Taken [a d/b/Y H:M:S]} will give you something like Sun 25/Sep/2005 21:45:38.
BuckSkin

Post by BuckSkin »

XnTriq wrote:Hi BuckSkin :-)

The “tooltips” (mouse-over-thumbnail display) can be customized by editing the text field

THANK YOU !!!; that was a huge help; I accomplished just what I wanted; plus, I got the bonus of having the actual day of the week included.

I had no idea that the day name could be added into the date/time; I am going to investigate whether I can add this feature into all of my other programs, such as Internet Explorer.

Thanks so much.
XnTriq
Moderator & Librarian

Post by XnTriq »

You're welcome (-: