XnView Classic vs XnView MP

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Mixer
Banned

Re: XnView Classic vs XnView MP

Post by Mixer »

Mixer wrote:found bugs go to Mantis Bug Tracker database (who puts them there?)
And even bigger mystery is who removes them from there? Once registered, this issue http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=32356 has disappeared from database. This unwanted effect of interface control is still present in version 0.79. If this is what seemingly harmless slider can do, which checkbox in options secretly corrupts MFT then?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
False alert, it's still there, problem with cookies on my side.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Brother Gabriel-Marie wrote:I think the big clencher is that Classic is faster.
faster when you open an image file from windows explorer, right. I need to check here.
Pierre.
Brother Gabriel-Marie

Post by Brother Gabriel-Marie »

xnview wrote:faster when you open an image file from windows explorer, right. I need to check here.
- Faster when MP navigates to a new folder or to a parent folder, especially if it hasn't cataloged it yet.
- Faster when you delete a bunch of files in the browser and then try to navigate

However, there must be some settings that cause this, too. MP on my laptop is much faster than the MP on my workstation (the workstation is more customized and has a lot more files).
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Brother Gabriel-Marie wrote: - Faster when MP navigates to a new folder or to a parent folder, especially if it hasn't cataloged it yet.
Really, Classic load first all thumbnails (can be long) before to be able to use UI, MP show UI and load thumbnails
faster when you open an image file from windows explorer, right. I need to check here.
do you have a lot of files in the folder?
- Classic displays icons in the Favourites panel (I made a post about this some time ago; apparently it was a difficult thing to achieve; but for me, icons mean instant visual recognition and I don't have read the folder names, so it is a boon for my workflow)
What do you means, there is icons in MP favorites??
Pierre.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Erixx haxx wrote: Tabs being cut in half or more and can not read them
could you post a screenshot?
Pierre.
Erixx haxx

Post by Erixx haxx »

xnview wrote:could you post a screenshot?
Sure:
This is a simple example and gets much worse in different gui changes. I think the problem is that tabs in the center are not keeping at least a little padding,
Only the outer most tab should be getting cut to make room.
The letters should be centered and middle tabs have a min pad set so when you resize they can not clip.

Here:
Attachments
Center tab clipped
Center tab clipped
Bug - Tabs Cut 01_cr.jpg (86.98 KiB) Viewed 2995 times
Tabs clipped even with enough room
Tabs clipped even with enough room
Bug - Tabs Cut With Enough Room_cr.jpg (85.6 KiB) Viewed 2995 times
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

Erixx haxx wrote:
xnview wrote:could you post a screenshot?
Sure:
This is a simple example and gets much worse in different gui changes. I think the problem is that tabs in the center are not keeping at least a little padding,
Only the outer most tab should be getting cut to make room.
The letters should be centered and middle tabs have a min pad set so when you resize they can not clip.
in default theme, i have not that. Which theme do you use?
Pierre.
oops66
XnThusiast

Post by oops66 »

xnview wrote:
Brother Gabriel-Marie wrote:I think the big clencher is that Classic is faster.
Hello,
I don't know if it is easy to do or not, but having XnViewMP running into multi-core (not only one) should be faster.
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/aix/l ... processor/
"Considerations in software design for multi-core multiprocessor architectures
Today's chip multithreaded, multi-core, multiprocessor systems provide software designers a great opportunity to achieve faster and higher throughput.However,there are a few key design considerations, if ignored, could result in hard-to-find performance issues and scalability bottlenecks.These key design considerations are discussed in this article..."
XnViewMP Linux X64 - Debian - X64
Erixx haxx

Post by Erixx haxx »

xnview wrote:in default theme, i have not that. Which theme do you use?
I Have always used the dark theme. The default is way to bright for me.

I'm pretty sure it was happening in default theme too. I'll try and check later to see if it happens in default theme or just dark.
Erixx haxx

Post by Erixx haxx »

xnview wrote:in default theme, i have not that. Which theme do you use?
I Tried it.
You're right. It doesn't happen near as bad with the default theme.
I still don't like the way it clips words when you can see their is enough room for the letters, and how it takes letters from each tab
instead of only the longest tab first. Not as bad as the dark theme though.
Attachments
Default Theme Tabs Clipping
Default Theme Tabs Clipping
Tabs Default Theme_cr.jpg (39.54 KiB) Viewed 2959 times
vicsharx

Post by vicsharx »

I have used both and I have both installed. I can not not use the classic one because it crashes too much for me. This was a problem in MP also in the past but not any more. It hardly crashes.

But I would love if it allows me to delete the folders that MP is visiting. I can delete in explorer the files that MP is visiting, but not the folders, even if I leave the folder. It forces me to shut down the program and open it again to be able to delete the folder. I'm talking about deleting with external programs, as explorer.

I would like also if I can select several images in MP and they appear tiled in the preview, as Adobe Bridge. Also that the floating preview window can be maximized. I lose a lot of time fiddling with his size when using it in secondary monitors. Double click will dock it instead maximize and I don't think there is alternative way to do it.

In general I can not work without MP. Periodically I check other image browsers (faststone, acdsee etc) but there is nothing equal for quick image browsing. Thanks a lot for this wonderful program.
shadowpower

Post by shadowpower »

vicsharx wrote:But I would love if it allows me to delete the folders that MP is visiting. I can delete in explorer the files that MP is visiting, but not the folders, even if I leave the folder. It forces me to shut down the program and open it again to be able to delete the folder. I'm talking about deleting with external programs, as explorer.
I'm pretty sure if you delete the folders/files inside then you can delete the folder (or at least that's what I do) if you were working inside it before.

I think that xnview mp has better customization but it still loses in speed to classic in some aspects like someone said. Also there are some tools that xnviewmp lacks or it's just done differently for example I prefer to use xnview classic to convert files because you can do multiple conversions at the same time (not just multiple folders but rather different settings for group of files)
vicsharx

Post by vicsharx »

I can't. But it could be something related to my OS or other settings (using windows 10). I have occasionally that problem in other programs but not all, for example Zbrush.
bege

Post by bege »

I went back to XnView Classic because
  • after saving a turned picture the size and quality was less than half in MP
  • I cannot change EXIF date in MP
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

bege wrote:I went back to XnView Classic because
  • after saving a turned picture the size and quality was less than half in MP
In XnView MP compression options have to be set in Browser | File > Format settings... for a technical reason that is currently hard to resolve...
bege wrote:
  • I cannot change EXIF date in MP
I don't know, but I think it should be possible in Browser | Tools > Metadata > Edit IPTC/XMP...