Keyboard shortcut to scroll up/down/left/right quickly?

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Jorge24

Keyboard shortcut to scroll up/down/left/right quickly?

Post by Jorge24 »

I just switched from IrfanView to XnView. In IrfanView I can use the Page Up/Down keys to quickly scroll up and down (in chunks) an image that is larger than my screen. I can also use the Home and End keys to quickly scroll left and right.

I've been trying to figure out how to set a keyboard shortcut in XnView that does the same but so far I haven't been successful. I figured out how to set the arrow keys to scroll slowly (in mini steps) but this is far from optimal. Does anyone have a solution?
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Keyboard shortcut to scroll up/down/left/right quickly?

Post by xnview »

Settings>Interface>Keyboard
Pierre.
Jorge24

Post by Jorge24 »

Thanks for replying. In "Settings > Interface > Keyboard" I can set up the arrow keys to scroll as I said previously, but it scrolls very slowly (in mini steps). Is there a way to increase the amount of steps it scrolls per key press?
Also, I've looked through the list of all the keyboard shortcuts in "Setting > Interface > Shortcuts" but haven't found one to scroll quickly or in chunks.
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

no way but perhaps i can use Arrow+shift to quick scroll?
Pierre.
cday
XnThusiast

Post by cday »

Jorge24 wrote:I just switched from [program name] to XnView. In [program name] I can use the Page Up/Down keys to quickly scroll up and down (in chunks) an image that is larger than my screen. I can also use the Home and End keys to quickly scroll left and right. [Is this possible in XnView MP?]
Jorge24 wrote:In "Settings > Interface > Keyboard" I can set up the arrow keys to scroll as I said previously, but it scrolls very slowly (in mini steps). Is there a way to increase the amount of steps it scrolls per key press?.
xnview wrote:no way but perhaps i can use Arrow+shift to quick scroll?
Or possibly add Page Up and Page Down optionts to Tools > Settings... :

Image_1.png
Jorge24

Post by Jorge24 »

Those are both great ideas! Would love if you do implement either of them, although making it a customizable keyboard might be the best so everyone would be happy :)
Hacker

Post by Hacker »

I'd also love to have such a feature. Keyboard scrolling an image is really slow compared to XnView Classic.

Roman
deus-ex

Post by deus-ex »

Hello there, Hacker.

Quite some time ago I made a suggestion (disguised as a bug report) to Pierre to have an shortcut for fast image scrolling, just like in XnView Classic. Eventually it got added to XnViewMP with v0.88. These keyboard shortcuts are hard-coded and cannot be changed, hence they aren't listed in the shortcut configuration dialog.

Keyboard shortcuts for fast image scrolling:

[Ctrl+Shft] + Left/Right/Up/Down (arrow keys)
Hacker

Post by Hacker »

deus-ex,
Much better, thank you! Are those default keyboard shortcuts documented somewhere?

TIA
Roman
deus-ex

Post by deus-ex »

Here's a XnView (Windows) User Guide. This Guide is available as a Reference Manual (PDF) for download. At first glance though the shortcut list appears to be incomplete, for example the "fast image scroll" shortcut is not listed.

IMHO it's rather difficult to see through XnViewMPs keyboard shortcut system. Several pre-defined shortcuts cannot be changed at all, some have only a limited set of bindable functions to chose from and are located at a different region of XnViewMPs configuration dialog. For example, the SPACE key is located in the Interface section under the TAB Keyboard.

The introduction of the fast image scrolling keyboard shortcut is mentioned in the file WhatsNew.txt at line 1231. Actually the shortcut was introduced first with v0.87, but it wasn't quite working like in XnView Classic. So I made sure it got improved/fixed, which found its way into release v0.88.
Hacker

Post by Hacker »

deus ex,
Thank you.

Roman