Many clients one categorization DB

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

Brecon1957

Many clients one categorization DB

Post by Brecon1957 »

Hi I've had a quick search but can't see anything on pointing many clients at one DB. I have tried it with two clients using the same DB on a network share -

Started client A, gave some photos some categories

Started client B, looked at photos could see categories

Went back to client A categories gone from photos. Check client B gone from there too.

What I'm guessing is the open client overwrites the DB with what it grabs from the image meta data? So nothing in categories of the meta data means null entered into the DB for that image.

So is there a workaround can many clients use the same categorisation DB?

Thanks
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Many clients one categorization DB

Post by xnview »

Strange, sqlite database can be shared between 2 instances...
Pierre.
m.Th.
XnThusiast

Re: Many clients one categorization DB

Post by m.Th. »

It should work. Something else is wrong.

SQLite, even if it isn't a multi-user client server system, can handle shared access on its DB.

Because the first user locks the entire file, the first user gains read-write access, the others are read-only.

However, since the locks usually tend to be very short (few milliseconds) "concurrent" access for few users (IOW till 10-15 users) on modern hardware shouldn't be a problem.

Try to reproduce the case.

If you can provide steps to reliably reproduce this, then perhaps Pierre can fix is because most probably it is a problem in his code.

If you cannot reproduce or the steps lead to an external factor then perhaps the problem is tied with something else. For example, if the categories 'disappear', then you can have a problem in reading them either from DB either from (embedded) photo's metadata (unreliable shares etc.)
m. Th.

- Dark Themed XnViewMP 1.6 64bit on Win11 x64 -