Q: Update database from files & Update files From database ?

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

oops66
XnThusiast

Q: Update database from files & Update files From database ?

Post by oops66 »

Hello to all,
Does anybody know what, under "View" menu, "Update database from files" & "Update files From database" do exactly ???

... Is it only for selected files?, only the related folder, or for all the files already into db?, takes care (or not) of the settings into the ini file ?, rebuild thumbnails or not ? synchronize IPTC/XMP keywords, categories, or not ?, etc..???

... Because I'm a little afraid to use "these massive tools" (without knowing what I am exactly doing, and without a good notice) ???

FI: For me "massive tools" should only be available into "batch convert" processus ("Batch" basically mean for me "massive" ... so it is enough explicit)
XnViewMP Linux X64 - Debian - X64
m.Th.
XnThusiast

Re: Q: Update database from files & Update files From databa

Post by m.Th. »

oops66 wrote:Hello to all,
Does anybody know what, under "View" menu, "Update database from files" & "Update files From database" do exactly ???
Both of them deal with metadata. The 1st read the metadata from XMP sidecars (if present) and write it in the DB and the 2nd writes/generates XMP sidecars with the corresponding metadata stored in DB (Rating, Color, Keywords = RCK) for each file.

... Is it only for selected files?,
Yes. But it looks in subfolders also. Hence, it is enough to select the root folder only.

takes care (or not) of the settings into the ini file ?,
Which settings?

rebuild thumbnails or not ?
Not. Just metadata workings here.

synchronize IPTC/XMP keywords, categories, or not ?, etc..???
Yes for all the RCK info.

... Because I'm a little afraid to use "these massive tools" (without knowing what I am exactly doing, and without a good notice) ???

FI: For me "massive tools" should only be available into "batch convert" processus ("Batch" basically mean for me "massive" ... so it is enough explicit)
Not quite. Batch Convert deals with the image (pixels). Catalog-Sidecar Sync primitives (like they are known in other programs) deals with metadata. Every other program has them in a separated menu, like us.

Also, Cut and Copy are "massive tools", no? :) But they are somewhere else than in Batch Convert...
m. Th.

- Dark Themed XnViewMP 1.6 64bit on Win11 x64 -
oops66
XnThusiast

Re: Q: Update database from files & Update files From databa

Post by oops66 »

m.Th. wrote:
oops66 wrote:Hello to all,
Both of them deal with metadata. The 1st read the metadata from XMP sidecars (if present) and write it in the DB and the 2nd writes/generates XMP sidecars with the corresponding metadata stored in DB (Rating, Color, Keywords = RCK) for each file.
... Only from XMP sidecars files (if present), or also for IPTC or XMP embedded metadatas ?

... Is it only for selected files?,
Yes. But it looks in subfolders also. Hence, it is enough to select the root folder only.
... Recursive behavior, means for me "massive behavior" ("massive tools")

takes care (or not) of the settings into the ini file ?,
Which settings?
... For: "Update files From database"
And for the behavior: "do no touch the original files by default"
EX:
Settings\Metadata\IPTC & XMP \
Keywords

x Export DB Category to XMP subject and IPTC keyword
x Export rating in XMP metadata
x Export color label in XMP metadata

Comment
x Write comment in XMP (dcdescription and exifrusercomment)

rebuild thumbnails or not ?
Not. Just metadata workings here.
... The embedded thumbnail into a jpg file is also a metadata, no?

synchronize IPTC/XMP keywords, categories, or not ?, etc..???
Yes for all the RCK info.

Not quite. Batch Convert deals with the image (pixels). Catalog-Sidecar Sync primitives (like they are known in other programs) deals with metadata. Every other program has them in a separated menu, like us.
"Batch Convert deals with the image (pixels)" ... not only, can also manage EXIF, ... or ... IPTX/XMP metadata
see here:
http://newsgroup.xnview.com/viewtopic.p ... 08#p119608

Also, Cut and Copy are "massive tools", no? :) But they are somewhere else than in Batch Convert...
... For me, recursive behavior, means also for me "massive behavior" (so "massive tools")
Thank you for these information @m.Th. ... but I think than a help is needed for these 2 complicated tools to clarify the behavior, and to know exactly what they do.
XnViewMP Linux X64 - Debian - X64