Photo Rotates after Cropping

Ask for help and post your question on how to use XnView MP.

Moderators: XnTriq, helmut, xnview

AcGolfer

Photo Rotates after Cropping

Post by AcGolfer »

Hi all, been using XnView quit a few years and it has always done this.
You crop a photo a lot the photo is rotated onto it side. If it is cropped only slightly the photo doesn't rotate itself.

I have always just went back and change them, but I just finished cropping quit a few and wished I didn't have do rotate them back.
And I was thinking why would this happen if the photo has the orientation embed.

So has anyone had this problem and is there a solution? Or am I missing something or doing something wrong?
Thanks AcGolfer
xnview
Author of XnView

Re: Photo Rotates after Cropping

Post by xnview »

could you put some screenshots?
Pierre.
TommiG2

Post by TommiG2 »

Dear AcGolfer,
I have this too but only on my Mac in a specific situation when I have a landscape photo and crop it into a portrait dimension.

* starting with a photo in landscape
* start cropping mode and choose a 3:2 ratio
* drag a small rectangle (it is in 3:2 landscape)
* switch the selection rectangle into upright portrait dimensions (Menu "Edit" and "Selection - Swap width & height W")
* do resizing the selection as desired and press the "crop" button
* save the image and switch back into Browser mode. Now the picture is rotated showing it still in landscape (but should be in portrait)

I tried the same steps in Windows. But here it works as expected without rotation.
Env: XnView MP 0,89

Kind regards,
Thomas
AcGolfer

Post by AcGolfer »

xnview wrote:could you put some screenshots?
Thanks Pierre, I had one portrait photo left that was sideway in the browsers view and correct in the preview mode.
I was going to post it but first wanted to edit the face out in the photo and I did that using the programs paint program.
I saved the photo.

And of course, after saving it, the photo corrected itself.

Like I said or tried to say it is similar to what Thomas posted above.
-right click select crop
-go to pulldown to select ratio
-next select 'crop,save & next'

And then it might rotate it to a landscape, I think the more it is cropped the more likely it is to rotate.
Thanks, AcGolfer
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

AcGolfer wrote: Like I said or tried to say it is similar to what Thomas posted above.
-right click select crop

And then it might rotate it to a landscape, I think the more it is cropped the more likely it is to rotate.
are you on Mac too? and please send me a sample to reproduce? or tell me which value do you have in exif orientation field?
Pierre.
AcGolfer

Post by AcGolfer »

xnview wrote:
AcGolfer wrote: Like I said or tried to say it is similar to what Thomas posted above.
-right click select crop

are you on Mac too? and please send me a sample to reproduce? or tell me which value do you have in exif orientation field?
Sorry it took so long to get back to you. This is what I seeing now as I was going though photos.
I change rotation by using JPEG lossless transformation as that is all I have ever used. Now I come back years later and the thumbnail orientation is wrong but the photo when clicked on is correct. So I would rotate thumbnail using Lossless then that would change the main photo them I can go in and change main photo using Image - Rotate and it correct.
But originally I don't believe this was happening I believe every thing was correct.
Attachments
xview.jpg
AcGolfer

Post by AcGolfer »

I don't know what happened but now all my movies at upsides down :?
I tried sending a movies for you to look at Pierre, but 'Invalid file extension: 2016-06-14 Beach-ok.mov'
But in MS Explorer and Window Media player everything is alright.
Thanks, AC
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

do you have original image file?
Pierre.
AcGolfer

Post by AcGolfer »

Ok, I got you a sample. The way I did these was crop the first one then continue with copy, save, next. And I always use a preset, usually 4x3 or 5x7 but I think the more it is cropped is when it happens, I have started using rotate and save instead of lossless rotation, but not enough use to determine if that works yet.
Thanks, AC
The original pics are too large.
test 1 and 2 ok, 3 and 4 with the dog sideways.
test2 started in reverse order with dog first and cropped this 4x3 all the same size and the 1,2 of dog ok and 3,4 sideway.
The pics are from top test2 4th pic to bottom test1 1st pic. As you can see the pics are right now but in XnViewMp ver 9.0 the 3rd and 4th of each test is sideways. My computer must be crazy, haha.
I hope this helps. Thanks again
Attachments
test2 04
test2 04
test2 03
test2 03
test2 02
test2 02
test2 01
test2 01
test1 04
test1 04
test1 03
test1 03
test1 2
test1 2
test1 2
test1 2
xnview
Author of XnView

Post by xnview »

do you have a way to reproduce with your samples?
Pierre.
AcGolfer

Post by AcGolfer »

I try to post them but as you can see they came out correct.
I just find under Tool>Metadata>EXIF Thumbnail rotate. I now wondered if I sure have been using this instead.

And there"s JPEG Lossless Rotation plus Image>Rotate. It got me a little confused.

I think maybe only my thumbnails was wrong to start out. After cropping and seeing the thumbnail was sideways I used the JPEG Lossless to rotate the photos. Also sometime thumbnails not refreshing immediately might have cause me problems.

Anyway maybe it was an operator error on my part. Thanks for trying to help Pierre, great program.
Regards AC